Prologue

Prologue

"Get inside! It's raining!" I shouted at the boy playing outside as the rain started to pour.

Suddenly, it reminded if the cold times.

Memories.

These are things that I hold onto dearly. Sometimes, if you lose someone or something, these are the only things you have of them. They are nothing but merely memories.

You keep some, you forget a lot. People tend to remember the happiest events in their lives. But the memories that lingers the most are the ones that hurt you the most. The memories that destroyed your soul. The ones that are engraved into your heart.

In my case, I tend to value everything. Almost too much. That even if it pained me in the past, it still stays close to my heart.

Some people don't mind it when something they own gets ruined. They may no longer value the item, believe it to be useless, or just simply not give a damn about it anymore.

I'm not a part of those people. Whether I got it from my own hard work or as a gift. I value and treasure each and every thing I own. Especially when it came from a person I once cherished.

"Were you the one who ripped this apart?" I asked the kid in front of me. His eyes were full of guilt while looking down on his small hands. He was repeatedly fidgeting with it while intentionally avoiding my gaze.

Kakapasok lang nito mula sa kakalaro sa labas. His hair was a bit wet due to the slight rain dropping on him earlier.

My eyes darted back to the book that was once perfect. I took care of it after so many years of it being given to me. I never allowed a single scratch to even touch it.

The once perfect book is now ripped apart, its old pages were scattered all around the carpeted floor. Some of the pages were torn out of their placement and were shredded to bits of pieces.

I let out a sigh as I stared at the pieces of paper on the floor. I can feel a slight pang in my chest just by staring at it.

Binalik ko ang tingin ko sa batang kaharap at nadatnan ko itong nakatingin na sa akin. He quickly averted his gaze from me and once again looked down on his hands.

"I'm waiting for your answer," kalmado kong saad.

Mabilis itong nagnakaw ng tingin sa aking gawi at muling umiwas. Kasunod noon ay ang walang tigil niyang pag-iling.

Bumagsak ang aking balikat kasabay ng pagkawala ng mahinang buntong-hininga mula sa aking labi. Umiwas ako ng tingin at tumayo na mula sa pagkaka-squat sa harapan niya.

I quietly made my way back to the bookshelf where the book was originally placed. I stared at its cover for a little while before caressing it. Its smooth and hard book cover brushing against the tip of my fingertips.

A soft sigh escaped my lips as I felt my heart clench in pain. It pains me, seeing my books get hurt. Especially this book.

This specific book from him. One of the few things he left behind before completely leaving me. All alone.

I carefully placed it back in the small and empty space and diverted my eyes back to the one who destroyed it. Nakaupo pa rin siya sa lapag habang nakatitig sa kanyang mga kamay.

I hate it when someone accidentally destroys something that was mine and that I've been taking care of for years. It frustrates me, knowing that they never really meant to do it. It irks me, knowing that I wasn't able to protect it, to stop it from totally falling apart.

Lumapit ako sa batang nakaupo sa sahig at muling nag-squat sa kanyang harapan. Nang tumingin ito sa akin ay may mga luha nang nagbabadyang bumagsak mula sa kanyang mga mata.

"I'm going to ask again and you will answer truthfully, okay?" malambing kong sabi. "Were you the one who ripped it apart?" ulit ko sa aking tanong ko kanina.

Kinagat niya ang kanyang pang-ibabang labi kasabay ng pagbagsak ng luha mula sa kanyang mga mata.

"I-I'm sorry..." nauutal-utal niyang sagot. Tuloy-tuloy ang pagtulo ng luha sa kanyang mata na naglalandas sa kanyang malambot na pisngi.

My lips parted, ready to speak again when I suddenly heard a dramatic gasp from behind. Napatingin ako doon at nakita si Jade na nakatayo sa pintuan ng kwarto.

Her eyes were wide open as her lips parted in shock. "Hala, shocks ka, baby! Ba't mo sinira?!" natatarantang tanong ni Jade.

Mabilis siyang lumapit sa aming gawi at binuhat ang bata sa kanyang mga bisig. She looked at me and gave me an apologetic smile.

Binalik niya ang kanyang tingin sa bata at hinaplos ang buhok nito pababa sa kanyang namamasang pisngi. "Jusko ka, baby! Nag-sorry ka ba?" tanong ni Jade sa bata habang pinapawi ang mga luha nito.

I watched as she carried him out of the room while still talking to him. She's trying her best to stop him from crying.

My eyes wandered around the carpeted floor. Siya lang naman ang bata pumasok sa kwartong ito. Ang iba ay nasa labas, kasama nina Jade, kaya alam kong siya ang may kagagawan.

I hate it the most when they lie to me even if there are several evidences already pointing at them. When they keep on denying the obvious.

I don't like it when they intentionally break something important to me. But, above all, I despise liars.

🌧

updates on this book will be slow. my classes are already starting and will be kind of busy.

—zχαnтℓуχ