Chapter 47: The Depths of Reality

Start from the beginning

"Was it that bad?"

My old friend, my closest companion, and my trusted advisor.

"No, Nico. I'm just tired of waiting for this war to end. If only Trayden would just capitulate. We've seized their capital and decimated their army, yet they remain persistent. At this rate, Cecil and I won't ever get a chance to have kids."

He brings a contemplative hand to his chin.

"Hmm. Tough indeed. Let's talk about it over dinner. My treat."

He grins widely.

"Fine. Dinner it is."

Years pass.

"Daddy's home!"

My voice echoes throughout the halls of the grand castle. Two sets of footsteps pitter-patter across the marble in their white socks and catholic-school-like shoes.

"Daddy!"

My daughters jump into my arms at the very moment I reach the deepest point of my squat.

"Sylvie, Ellie, how was school?"

Their faces scrunch in agitation.

"Boring!" Ellie shouts.

"It was okay, I guess." Sylvie murmurs.

It was expected. Sylvie has always been covert about her enjoyment of academics. She doesn't want her tomboyish sister to mock her. It'll be a cold day in hell when I walk these kids down the aisle.

A third set of footsteps rings out atop the marble. A head of brown hair and almond-shaped eyes round the corner of the foyer. In her arms, a swaddled infant coos softly.

"Home a little early today?"

My wife, the love of my life.

"Ever since you've been home on maternity leave, I've been put to work relentlessly. I got sent home out of pity. Turns out being Regent of a nation is hard."

Cecilia chuckles at my obvious comment.

"You say that to the Queen. I know how it is, Mr. King Consort."

I sigh heavily at her remark.

"No need to rub it in." I loosen my grip on my daughters and stand before gently walking to my wife. I plant a soft kiss on her lips and turn my attention to the bundle in her arms. "Hey there, Regis. Mind if I hold you?"

A second sigh resounds, this one of relief and not from me.

"I sure don't mind, Grey. Now come on, dinner is set."

-----------------

'Child, these were all possible. Only but a few minute changes were made. Seconds here and there in the occurrence of events. Such is the nature of Fate. Your kind has given this phenomenon a name: the "Butterfly Effect." It's because of this that you mustn't abuse this power. Your intentions for after this war ends are clear. Let the truth be known, your actions are irreversible.'

I continue to wade through the expanse of black and white.

"I understand. You've opened my mind. I'm ready to accept your blessing."

'Then be off, Dynasty. And good luck.'

The horizon ceases to be, and the two shades mix once more, leaving me in the same expanse of grey. It tears like fabric, the very fabric of reality.

From beyond the gash, a bright, oscillating glow appears, composed of red, orange, and white.

I wade through the expanse as if it were mud, my legs struggling to make any progress. The atmosphere around me grows sweltering hot, leaving me heaving and drenched in sweat, yet I persist. As my hands reach both sides of the tear, I pull myself through with all of my might.