I stood on the tips of my toes to get a better view, but a gust of wind rattled through my prison, crawling over my skin like thousands of small scuttering spiders. I squirmed. In the corner of my vision, the two guards outside my cell stood upright, brought to attention. I almost scoffed, having forgotten that wind was a foreign concept in Hell. It wasn't supposed to exist here. But the concerned look the guards shared stopped me from making a noise. My scoff got caught in my throat and I turned away from the lake and back to my makeshift grave, pushing my sense of unease away.

Hurried footsteps sounded and the guards glanced at each other. I scrambled back onto my feet and retreated to the back of my cell, as far from the steel doors as possible. My breath paused at the surprise on the guards' faces, who then proceeded to bow. The footsteps – undeniably from heels – grew louder and then came to a stop outside of my view.

"I thought I told you to bring her up to her chambers immediately," a female voice rang, a sharp edge to her words.

The guard cleared his throat. "Your Majesty, I received an order from His Highness to retain the prisoner in her cell after her collection."

A heavy silence followed. The rising blush on the guard's face made me believe he was reconsidering defying the woman's authority.

"I see," she responded curtly, to which the guard was visibly relieved. "We'll take her to her chambers. I'll have a discussion with him myself," as an afterthought, she added, "and she's not a prisoner, she's our guest."

"Of course, Your Majesty."

The guard fumbled with a set of keys, then unlocked the cell door. A loud squeal echoed through the room as the guard pushed the door far enough aside for the guest to enter. It then became all too clear why this guest's voice was familiar, because it had haunted my dreams for weeks.

The Goddess of Spring glided into the room with the air of someone completely unperturbed by the tainted environment. Seeing her in person made me realise my dreams had never done her justice. Her skin was pearly and luminous, providing her with an ethereal beauty. Her red hair was as poised as a waterfall at her back, her curls falling softly behind her. The Queen stood tall as she examined me up and down. Her eyes narrowed in on my face. I couldn't tell whether it was disappointment or relief that accompanied that gaze.

"Serena," she said. "It's nice to finally meet you. In person."

I narrowed my own gaze at her, biting my tongue.

"Persephone," I returned, gritting my teeth. "Can't say I feel the same."

I could have sworn the corner of her lips lifted. "I'm not exactly surprised you figured out who I am. I suppose Alek helped you figure it out." I noted she hesitated when she said Alek's name. She knew of his betrayal, then. It made sense that Cleo would have been more than happy to spread the news given her closeness to the Crown Guard.

I swallowed, pushing away the ache in my chest. "Did you not expect me to?"

"I most certainly did not expect you to do to a lot of things," she said softly. "For one, I did not expect you to run."

I crossed my arms over my chest. "You expected me to willingly hand myself over to the ruler of the Underworld? Why would I ever think to do that?" The idea was laughable.

"Some things just run in the family," Persephone breathed.

The air between us turned to stone. I wasn't even sure if I was breathing, when I took a step forward. The guards took this as a threat against the Queen and flanked my sides. I could do nothing as their cold hands gripped my forearms, pulling me out from my cell. I flinched at their vice-like grips.