You Can't Be Serious

We walked into the Alpha's study, and the delicious scent was almost overwhelming. I kept my eyes on the floor, so as to not disrespect the man who had been so generous to me.

"Alpha James, this is Lillian, my mate's sister."

"Hello Lillian." His deep, exotic voice sent shivers through my body. "You are welcome to stay here, as long as you don't cause any trouble. You needn't worry about Brian. He won't be able to harm you here."

"Thank you, sir." My voice trembled with the immense pleasure that was radiating through my body.

I felt tension feel the air after I spoke. I wasn't sure why. I glanced at Silas, and he looked dumbfounded. That only served to add to my confusion.

"Lillian, look at me." The Alpha demanded, using his full authority. I couldn't disobey his orders. So, I looked at him.

He was about 6'6" tall, had short brown hair, the body of a god, and piercing green eyes. I quickly found myself lost in them. I felt like there was electricity flowing between us, and I never wanted it to stop. But, our gazing was cute short when James wrapped me in his arms, growling, "Mine!"

There was no doubt, this gorgeous man holding me was my mate. My true mate. I knew I should be elated. I finally found my mate!

But, I couldn't be happy. What if he turned out to be just like Brian? So, ignoring my wolf, I broke free of his hold and ran. As soon as I was out of his arms, I felt incomplete, but that didn't stop me. I still ran with everything I had in me.

I didn't make it a mile before James and Silas caught me. James scooped me up and carried me back to his house, bridal style.

When we were back in his study. he locked the door and used his massive form to block it. I buried myself into the couch, preparing myself for the blows that were sure to follow. Fortunately, they never came.

Instead, I heard James's intoxicating voice, "Don't run away from me Lilly. You're safe here. I promise, no harm will come to you. You're my mate. I'll gladly kill anyone who ever tries to hurt you again."

My heartbeat dramatically increased with his words.

"I'm sorry if I frightened you. Lilly, I need to know what happened to you in Silver Moon. Sofia told me what happened last night, but I need to know if it ever happened before."

Unable to speak, I only nodded.

James and Silas both erupted with growls. After taking several deep breaths to calm himself, James pressed on. "Did anything else happen there?"

My wolf urged me to tell him, so I did. "He beat me every night. He always found a reason to. I was only allowed to shift once a month. And, some nights, if I didn't want to have sex with him, he would beat and rape me. He's always tell me how useless and pathetic I was afterward. And, whenever he thought I deserved worse, he would invite his beta Jace or his third Erik to join him. Sometimes, it would be all three of them." I couldn't handle talking about it anymore, so I just let the sentence hang.

James was too angry. He couldn't fight back the change. I was now staring at the single most beautiful, largest black wolf I had ever seen. I didn't get a chance to soak it all in though, because just as fast as she had shifted, he was now decimating every inanimate object in his path.

His study was in shambles when he shifted back. He had calmed down a little, but he was still infuriated. "Leave. I'm going for a run."

Silas and I went to leave, but James stopped us. "Silas will leave. Lilly is coming with me."

Knowing better than to argue with an Alpha, we nodded.

After Silas left, James wrapped me up in another hug. I had to admit, it felt wonderful.

"Would you like to go on a run?"

"Actually, I'm still exhausted from the run here." I sheepishly admitted.

"Ok. I'll show you to my room then. I have a phone call to make."

Not questioning him any further, I allowed him to escort me. Once we were there, he left me to my own devices. I just crawled into bed, his scent consuming me, and fell straight asleep.

__________________________________________

*James POV*

After Lilly was sound asleep, I knew what I had to do. I was going to call that son of a bitch and give him a piece of my mind. I dialed his number, and the phone was answered. "Brian?"

"Yes, who's speaking?"

"James, the Alpha of Black Knights."

"Oh, hello. What can I do for you?"

"Lillian is here."

"Oh. So that's where my little mate ran off to."

My growl cut him off. "Lilly is mine! My mate! Mine! And, you will never see or speak to her again, you sick fuck!"

"Don't speak to me like that pup!"

"Is that a challenge?"

"Take it as you wish pup. I will get my wife back."

a loud, threatening growl escaped my lips. "Bring all you got pup. You'll need it. My pack will demolish you for even attempting to talk to our Luna."

And, with that, I ended the call.

Seething with anger, I shifted into my wolf, jumped out the window and ran for hours. It was nearly sunrise before I made it home.

When I walked into the house, Lilly was in the kitchen. The aroma her food exhibited was delightful. I followed it, and her scent of chocolate and roses. She was setting the table when I walked in. No words were exchanged. None needed to be. She was here with me, where she belonged. And, she was safe. That was all I needed.