1 Cast Off

I had always thought the day my parents died was the worst day of my life. Their ship had capsized at sea when I was just twelve years old. I had never really feared anything. Not until I herd my parent had parishes at sea in the middle of the night. After that, I had developed an immobilizing fear of the sea. I wasn't sure how to tell the Prince this because I was expected to be able to travel , an almost two week long voyage? Impossible!
I had prayed the day would soon come. I was positive that the world outside Summercrest was dangerous and full of monsters. However they didn't scare me. It was the monster behind the very walls of my home that I was trying to get away from. I was scared of the world, but all the same,  I longed  to see every bit of it. And I knew this morning that I would look out my window to see the black sales of the Halcro family and know my life as I knew it was officially over. I would never see the world, I would never live. I would be whisked away up North, to a frozen rock, surrounded by snow, mountains and deathly cold waters of ice and I would die there. I wasn't sure how. But I knew I would die there. My uncle had told me as much. Taunted me, really. That I would soon no longer soil the Crast name. That I shouldn't have been given the name to begin with.
My twin, who passed four years ago, had been removed from Hiram's Court and taken to Mosswood for training. A year later, news had reached Summer Creat that Jon had died in a tragic training accident and his body was not able to be recovered. That was the last time I had thought of him. Until today. Jon was heavy on my today. With the very public arrival of Prince Emris Halcro,  I was officially no longer Lady Crast and all eyes would be on me today when I emerged from that carriage.
I was now Nalia Halcro, Princess of Azga, Lady of Vendera.
I shuddered and looked down at the long, jagged scar on my hand. A reminder of what would happen if I messed up or disobeyed my Uncle in any way. No magic in the world could heal Eaglefire wounds. They were almost always fatal. The angry red scar wrapped around my palm and around half of my wrist. The last time I had seen Prince Emris, my left hand had been wrapped in a bandage, healing from the Eaglefire wound that Hiram had inflicted on me for not being ready on time. I frowned and rubbed my hands together, listing for the footsteps of my aunt Gracie. She would be happy to see I was already dressed and brushed and presentable.
It had been a week ago, when I had received a rider for the far and distant north informing me that Prince Halcro would be arriving in Summercrest by the end of the week.
My Uncle's house had been thrown into a frenzy trying to prepare for the Prince's arrival. My Uncle Hiram Crast was my ward now and he was away, settling a conflict on the other side of Summercrest, a days ride from here, leaving Aunt Gracie to prepare for the Princes arrival.
Hiram Crast was my fathers brother. He hated my mother for taking his only living family and getting them killed. Hiram was then left with me, duty bound to teach me right from wrong. To educate me and make me into a proper lady. That included the regular beating and humiliation, even in front of his Court if he saw so fit.
I watched as the storm cloud like sales drew closer and closer to the harbor. I sighed and turned away to look in the mirror. Aunt Gracie knocked on my door and I waved my hand at it.
The locks slid back and the handle turned down and the door swung open.
"Good you are up," she said as she walked in, dress bag in hand. When she took me in, dressed in my riders cloak and boots, she frowned.
"You plan on meeting the Prince like this?" she asked me, looking me up and down. I looked down at the soft leather of my tunic, not understanding. This was one of my best outfit. Hand made, the stitching was elegant and perfect. I raised and eyebrow and shook my head.
"The Prince has come all the way from the North. I'm sure me dressed in regular cloths won't offend him."
Aunt Gracie waved for a Maid who brought in a long, silk, cream colored dress. "You mother left this for you."
I sighed.
I despised the idea of marrying the Prince. A shudder passed through me. The Halcro family. They were the strongest of the Dark Fey World, their bloodline unparalleled to any other. And there were powerful families out in the world. It was said that I would be the Princes third wife, that he had killed his first two. As the deal was already done, made before I was born, I had little to no say in the matter. I would be married to the Prince in just a few short weeks.
"If my mother were here, she would not make me go!" I reminded Aunt Gracie.
She sighed. "Your Uncle will return any moment," she reminded me, as if I hadn't spoken. "Best be ready before he does. You know what will happen if you don't."
I looked down at the angry red scar on my hand, knowing what he would do it me if I was anything less then perfect. I reached up and pulled at the lace strings of my vest and stripped it off. Aunt Gracie nodded for the Maid to help me. "It's time you became a real Lady, anyway," she said as if to remind me. "No more riding like a man. No more using your powers! The Prince will be offended if you do! You are untrained in magic!" She stepped away looking me up and down when the dress was in place. "You uncle will be looking for something to fuss over! So you best be perfect!"
I stopped and looked down at my hand. I knew what he would do if I messed this up. Before I would answer, loins, ringing bells sounded through the air and I leaned against the window.
"Uncle Hiram."
Gracie walked to stand beside me and we watched as my Uncle and  his men trotted on horse back through the open gate and into the court yard. Butlers and Maids rushed around, stable boys hurried forward to take the leads of the riled up horses. "He certainly made haste, didn't he?"
I turned away from the window and looked down at my mothers dress.
"Fine," I said, deciding not to give my uncle any more reason to embarrass me. Aunt Gracie hurried forward and began to dress me herself, shooing the Maids away.
If my uncle decided to humiliate me before the Prince, it would be my fault if the Prince decided not to marry me. I knew I needed the prince to get away but that didn't mean I liked my opinions. If I was stuck on the boat until we reached Vendera, I would die there. My life would be short. And I couldn't allow that. As much as I wanted to get the away from him, I wasn't ready to risk my freedom for it. If I married the prince...
"Nalia!"
I looked up to see Aunt Gracie, her red hair beginning to frizz in the early morning humidity. I blinked and looked at myself in the mirror. My long, raven hair was pulled back into a braid, ending just above my tailbone.
"The Prince is said to have long hair," said Aunt Gracie in a disapproving tone. "It is said to be as long as yours. To see such a thing!"
I shrugged as Gracie slid some red flower pins into my hair. "Prince Emris is of the Halcro bloodline. Magic is in his blood."
Gracie nodded. "As it is in yours, dear niece of mine," she reminded me.
I shook my head and gazed at the stranger in the mirror before me. "I can move a small object with my mind," I mused. "Big deal. Compared to Emris Halcro I am nothing."
Aunt Gracie shook her head. "Were your beloved parents alive today I know for a fact they would be proud of the woman you are. And over joyed with pride to know you are following through with their wishes!"
I closed my eyes, tears tickling my nose. But it was also regret that struck at my heart. "None of that now, else you ruin your face, Nalia," Hiram said in a disapproving tone from the doorway. I felt my heart sink and my fingers clenched into fists crunching the delicate fabric of my mothers dress. The falling feeling that swelled up within my belly and chest each time I herd his voice choked off my lungs. I forced a small smile on my face and turned to face him.
"White?" he scoffed at me. "No. Black."
I shook my head, gripping the fabric of the skirts. "Please, Uncle Hiram, it was mothers and-"
Aunt Gracie stepped up now. "It was Joana's. Perhaps we could-"
"I said no."
I really should have known better. I'm not sure what I was thinking. He said no twice. "I just thought-"
I never really saw him move, but suddenly his hand flew out and he struck me, hard, in the face. I stumbled backward, an arm flying out to catch myself on the vanity behind me. Then, without any warning, something solid and cold struck the back of my legs. I crumbled the ground, a pained cry leaving my lips.
"Do as I say and these things won't happen. Now I have put a lot of time and money into your being married to the Prince and you will do well not to sabotage it! Do I make myself clear?"
Blood pooled on the inside of my cheek and I sniffed. Tight fingers wrapped around the back of my neck and knotted in my hair. "Do I make myself clear?"
I nodded best I could. "Yes, Uncle."
Hiram grunted at me as he released me, shoving me away from him. "Go on, then!"
I turned my back to him and let the maid undress me, pulling the delicate silk fabric over my dry skin. Some bruises were still visible from last time and I did my best to ignore them but the shame was making my movements stiff. "The girl is already nervous enough, Hiram. Perhaps we should let her ready herself in private?"
Hiram didn't move. Only after he had his fill did he walked away, back toward the door, slamming it closed behind him. "Bitch Moonblood!" he snarled back down the hall at me.
I watched as Aunt Gracie followed Hiram from the room. As soon as the door closed, my knees buckled and I sank to my knees in a pool of tool and skirts, my quite sobs filling the room.