[08]: Pork Buns

You had never seen the shop so busy.

Your store was more like a pop-up food van, but somewhat fixed in its spot in the street.

You mainly served food like cold soba noodles, or ramen, and sides, and pork buns. Food like that.

And because of the stores' low prices, good food and quick service, it was a popular spot on the weekends.

Your job was mostly to take the orders, clean dishes, or move stock outside.

There was a nice sitting area outside with some old milk crates where you and your two coworkers would go to have a relaxing cigarette when it was quiet.

But quiet was not fit, for this night.

You had been running around like a mad woman since your shift started, three and a half hours ago.

"Yuna-chan!" your boss called, stirring some beef broth in a wok. He pointed at the gas stove below it, that had just turned off.

You sighed.

Reaching over to the stove, you touched your finger to the gas and the burner relit.

It wouldn't affect, nor poison the food in the wok because you used only a spark to ignite the gas. You weren't spraying or cooking the food with your poisonous fire, obviously.

"Order fifty-seven!" you called out, holding a hot bowl over the counter.

The customer came up and took the bowl, giving you the receipt.

"Enjoy!"

You really disliked the customer-service part of this job. You preferred to work with your head down, out the back.

But, it's definitely a joint effort. Highs and lows.

The next customer comes up.

"Can I please get a spicy Tonkatsu ramen with pork Chashu, for takeaway."

You nod, "Just one-thousand yen."

The customer paid in cash and you smiled, "Your order number is sixty-one, here's your receipt."

The customer took the receipt and left. You had your head down, writing the order onto your pad.

The next customer stepped up.

"What can I get for you?" you asked patiently, with your head still down.

"One cold Soba noodle- uh-"

As the customer stuttered, you looked up.

"Oh, Todoroki."

He looked deeply shaken, looking up at you.

"Y-You work here?" Todoroki asked.

"Yeah, I do. Did you want something to eat?" you smiled. "What can I get for you?"

"I'm...I'll have cold Soba, with beef broth." he muttered, relatively clearly.

"Cool. That comes to six-hundred yen." you offered out the Eftpos machine. "It won't be long."

He looked away as he scanned his card.

You handed him his receipt, "I'll call out when it's ready."

He agreed with a silent nod. "Thank you."

As he left, you greeted the next customer in line.

Fifteen minutes later, Todoroki's food was ready and you felt responsible to call it out yourself.

"Sixty-two?"

He came to collect it faster than you had expected, but you handed it to him with a soft smile and he returned the expression. Then, he headed over to one of your tables to take a seat.