am I good enough for you? (part 2)

(The whole story takes place in Roy's POV)

Tw: suicide attempt and similar warnings from the previous part

One week has passed yet he still haven't returned back home. I couldn't handle another week of not having my son at my side so one Saturday, I decided to call him one more time. After 23 failed attempts, someone finally answered. But instead of Manny, it was Claire's mom that answered the phone.

"I'm the father of your daughter's best friend," I introduced. "May I talk to him?"

"Oh I'm so sorry, Mr. Gribbleston. Your son is not here, he went out with Claire to play at a park and he forgot his phone here," she explained.

"I see, can you just please tell him to come home to me later? No matter how stubborn he is, never let him disobey you. I need him to return home ASAP."

Claire's mom did as what I told her. Manny was forced to come back home at last. As soon as his best friend's mother left, I grabbed Manny's arm so hard that my fingernails marked his skin and dragged him to the kitchen. There, I forced him to lie flat on his stomach on the table and I smacked him hard with a rod. He screamed and cried so loud my ears almost bleed.

"YOU NEVER EVER THOUGHT TWICE! DID YOU KNOW HOW WORRIED YOU'VE GOTTEN ME?!" I yelled furiously and hit him again.

"STOP P-PLEASE! IT H-HURTS!" wailed Manny.

"NO! I'M GOING TO PUNISH YOU GREATLY FOR NOT COMING HOME FOR A WHOLE ASS WEEK!"

I spanked him several more times before dragging him into his room. Manny buried his face on his bed to let his damn tears soak in the mattress.

"YOU ARE GROUNDED FOREVER UNTIL YOU PROMISE ME TO BE A BETTER SON! YOU ARE ONLY TO COME OUT IF YOU'RE GOING TO SCHOOL OR TO THE BATHROOM! YOU'RE NOT GOING TO EAT DINNER TONIGHT!" I scolded him before leaving him behind.

My ears suffered at my son's loud sobbing for half an hour before it eventually died. The sun has went down and I went to the kitchen to eat dinner. I felt lonely eating without my son but I thought that he must be taught a lesson so I just shrugged it off. The next day, I decided to check him in his room.

"Manny, I know I've hurt you but I only did that because papa loves you and just wants you to be a good boy," I said as I opened the door.

To my surprise, instead of finding my son sleeping, I found a piece of paper on his bed. I picked it up and noticed a note. It says:

"Goodbye, dad. I'm going to leave this place soon. Please don't bother looking for me because I don't want you to have a burden."

My blood boiled and crumpled the paper. I went outside to look for Manny and force him to come back home and give him double punishment. All of a sudden, a little girl bumps into me. I recognized her as Lorren, one of my son's friends.

"Are you Manny's father?" she asked desperately.

"Yes why?"

"OH THANK GOODNESS!" she shouted happily. "YOU WOULDN'T WANT TO HEAR WHAT YOUR SON IS UP TO!"

"WHAT THE HELL IS IT?!" I questioned angrily.

"PLEASE FOLLOW ME, MISTER, BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!"

I followed Lorren like she said. She led me into a 10-story apartment building and went upstairs until we reached the rooftop. To my shock, I saw Manny at the edge, trying to jump off it. Claire, on the other hand, was embracing him tight, trying to stop him.
Very
"MANNY P-PLEASE! DONT D-DO IT!" she begged, tears streaming down her face.

"B-BUT I'M TOO W-WORTHLESS TO LIVE..." sobbed Manny. "A U-USELESS PERSON L-LIKE ME DESERVE T-TO DIE!"

"N-NO! THOSE ARE L-LIES! YOU'RE N-NOT WORTHLESS! YOU'VE S-SAVED OTHERS FROM K-KILLING THEMSELVES SO P-PLEASE DON'T DO I-IT!"