Chapter 40: Just a little trip

Start from the beginning

This child was clearly looking for a way to end up in the hospital.

"What do you think you are doing?" Katy asked in a whisper.

Experience tells me she was probably listening in. I knew the sound upstairs was no coincidence.

"I can't keep hiding this forever, it will only blow up in my face." I reasoned with her.

"Mom has never stolen a candy bar in her life. She will murder you and everyone else involved. You can't do this." Katy whispered.

Katy and I froze as we heard two sets of footsteps and laughter coming from down the hall. Katy tried to look as natural as possible to avoid all suspicion.

"I see you are ready for your trip." I heard Tristan's voice from down the hall.

Not him too. I couldn't help but curse softly. My bad luck couldn't be a coincidence. This was all a conspiracy.

Maybe it was just my bad decisions.

It would be a lot easier to just tell the two of them while they are together. That way, I only have to see their disappointed faces once but Tristan already threatened me and I'd never seen him more serious. He clearly shouldn't be messed with, especially when he is angry. There was no telling what unhinged thing he would do next. That meant I was back where I started.

Katy and I both pretended to be normal as mom and Tristan approached us.

He looked cheerful today, in a bright shirt without his usual tailored coat, but still maintaining his business look. The smile on his face looked even brighter. Maybe today was a great day to disappoint him.

Immediately when Tristan walked in, he noticed my reddened cheeks and the salty tears that were still in the process of drying off.

The smile on his face faded, a more concerned look replacing it.

"Are you okay?" He asked with a genuine look of concern on his face as he approached me.

I had no strength left in me to continue lying to him even with just a nod or even half a smile. It was too arduous.

"She just woke up and realized that she had eaten all the chocolate on her bedside. It's probably all the hormones." Katy answered on my behalf. "By the way, you owe me five hundred dollars and forty-five cents. That's how much it's going to cost you for rent since you are coming here all the time now." Katy said as she held her hand out to Tristan.

"Do you take credit cards?" Tristan asked with a chuckle.

"Don't mind her," mom interjected. "We are not trying to raise the next corrupt politician." She added as she shook her head in disapproval.

"I'd never get caught though," Katy added with a smile.

Mom sighed, continuing to shake her head.

"Anyway, Ashley. What is it that you wanted to say?" Mom asked.

Everyone's heads turned in my direction. Their concerned looks returned.

I didn't have the courage before to tell either of them separately, and I still hadn't gathered that courage right now.

Of all times I had to be placed on the spot.

"No, it's nothing." I finally gathered my words. "As Katy said, I just woke up emotional today," I answered dismissively, hoping it would be enough to convince them.

"Are you sure?" Mom asked with a questioning look.

"Yes," I answered.

With my track record for lying, I was well set off for a career in Hollywood.