The Next Day

It's the next morning after Onyx' birthday.

   Onyx, hunny! Wake up! It's time for school!"

   "Ughhhh but Mom!" His sentence drags on as he groans, unwanting to get out of bed.

   "Hun, you need to go! You have a big test today, remember? Algebra was it?" His mother sat their trying her best to remember what subject the test was.

   "Yeah. You're right. Fine." He groans, pushing his covers off his body and stretches his arms.

   "Thank you. Breakfast is ready downstairs." She says, genuinely thankful. She walks away and disappears down the stairs.

   "What to wear. What to wear..." He says, rummaging through his dresser. "This'll do." He grabs a baggy sweater and some random jeans. He goes to the bathroom, brushes his teeth, brushes his hair, puts on deodorant and cologne, and forgets his anxiety medication. He stands still, staring at himself in the mirror for a moment. "Math is my worst subject. I'll be fine." He walks back into his room and grabs his phone. He glances at his notifications.

Ivy
Good morning!
Onyx
Good morning.
Ivy
What's on your schedule for today? Wanna hang out later?
Onyx
I've got school. We can hang out later though!
Ivy
I have school too. Where do you go?
Onyx
Wilson's High. You?
Ivy
Me too!! Send your schedule.
Onyx
*Sends picture of schedule*
Ivy
I have first period Algebra too!
Onyx
That's cool! I'm dreading the test today. I forgot to study.
Ivy
Same seriously.

"Onyx are you coming down?! Your breakfast is going to get cold!" Onyx' mother screams from downstairs.

Onyx
Sorry gotta go. See you at school.
Ivy
See ya!

   Onyx grabs his bag and books and heads downstairs. He walks to the kitchen and sits at the counter. He eats his breakfast.

   "You better eat fast. School starts in half and hour and it'll take you 25 to get their if you walk fast enough."

   He hurries to finish his food. Once he finishes, he puts his dishes in the sink, says goodbye, puts on his shoes, and heads out the door. The whole way to school Onyx was trying to study for his Algebra test first period.

   Once Onyx made it to school, he went inside and headed straight to his locker. He unlocks it and places his bag inside. He grabs his Algebra binder and a few pencils and heads to class.

   "You got this." He whispers. He walks inside the classroom and immediately notices Ivy at the back of the room. She glances at him and smiles. He smiles back. He walks over to his assigned seat and sits. He does a few breathing exercises, attempting to calm his nerves. The teachers walks inside the room, setting her stuff down and grabs a pile of papers sitting in her desk.

   He starts to sweat. As she goes over the instructions on the test, his heartbeat starts to thump faster and faster. The teacher starts to hand out the test. More sweat. She places the test on his desk. He starts hyperventilating. Sweat starts to drip onto the paper.

   He grabs his bag and runs out of the class. Ivy chases after him. He runs out of the nearest exit and runs towards the woods.

"Onyx! Onyx! Come back!! What's wrong?!?!"

   He starts to run out of breath. He heads towards the forest, Ivy still chasing after. He finally stops at a small, ragged treehouse that hung over the river. Ivy follows him up.

   "Onyx, what's wrong? Are you okay?" She says, empathetically.

   "I'm fine. Forgot to take my anxiety meds, that's all. The test made me too anxious. I just had to get out of there." He says, on the verge of tears. "But you didn't have to chase after me. You should've stayed. Mrs. Smith might not let you have a second chance."

   "It's fine, seriously. I wanted to make sure you were okay. Here, take these." She hands him some goldfish.

   "Thanks." They talk for a bit and then eventually get up and head to the mall.