The Beginning

Mal POV

   "Mom! Mom! Where are you?" I shout out as I race down the halls. The faint sounds of growls and fighting in the distance reach my ear no matter where I go. I had woken up to sirens blaring outside which only meant one thing... Rouges. Since I'm only 6 I don't have my wolf yet. Where is my mother or Anita? All the doors on this level are open and no one is here.

   My thoughts are interrupted by the sounds of fast footsteps coming towards me. My cousin Oliver comes skidding around the corner ahead of me. When he sees me, he runs towards me in panic.

   "Mal! Come with me! Hurry!" Oliver says. Oliver is only 4 years older than me and will become my Beta when I come of age to take over. Our dads are brothers and we grew up together being more of siblings than cousins.

   "Ollie, where are my parents? Where is Uncle Nick?" I ask scared.

   "Dad is out leading the troops. I am taking you to your parents. They sent me to get you so it wouldn't raise suspicions if the enemy is already here," Ollie says to me as he drags me down the maze of halls. What does he mean by raising suspicions?

   We get to a door that I recognize as Anita's secondary room. Why are we here? Ollie opens the door and rushes us inside. He shuts the door and locks it. I see my parents standing by Anita talking in hushed tones and run over. For as long as I can remember, Anita has been my Nanny as well as my personal guard and is with me wherever I go.

   "Daddy! What's happening?" I ask as I hug him. My mom touches my head and I realize that she has been crying. "Mommy, what's wrong?"

   "Honey, we have to send you away." Wait what? What does she mean they're sending me away?

   "No! Mommy, I don't want to leave you and daddy!" I say as I hug her. Please let this be a dream.

   My dad then kneels next to us and says "Little Star, we don't want you to go but there are bad men that want to take you away from us. We need you to be safe. You are the future of the werewolf race and are our greatest treasure."

   "I don't want to leave you and momma. I can fight alongside you. Please don't send me away," I cry.

   Anita comes over with a cloak and masking spray in her hand. I realized that she also is wearing a cloak with a bag on her side. Oh my Goddess! This is really happening.

   "We need you to go with Anita, Little Star. She will protect you and also be our contact with you until you get your wolf," My father hugs me and so does Mom in a family group hug.

   "Dad just linked me and said that a few slipped past him. We have to act fast!" Ollie says from the window. He walks to the wall on the other side of the room and opens a secret door.

   "Come with me, princess. We have to go now!" Anita starts to pull me to the hidden door as Mom puts my cloak on me and sprays the masking spray. She then gives me a leather book as we get close to the passage.

   "I love you both. I will be back and take revenge on the person doing this. I will become big and strong for you!" I tell my parents as I'm pulled into the passageway.

   "We love you too little star. Stay safe and don't give Anita any trouble. Remember you are our greatest treasure," My dad says as the door shuts leaving Anita and I in the dark. Anita pulls out a flashlight and we start to run down the passageway.

   We walk for about 30 minutes until we come to a door. Anita opens the door and we step out to a field that has a car parked in a tent that blends in. As we jump in the car Anita throws the bag in the back before getting in the driver's seat.