Healing Touches

Începe de la început

She woke up with a start. It took her a moment to realize Khalid had been calling her. "Yes, you need something?" She moved closer to feel his forehead with the back of her hand.

"your fever dropped, Alhamdulillah. you feel any pain?"

"Relax. I'm not in any pain,"  He assured her, ignoring the pain in his arm.

Relief lighted her face as she exclaimed "Alhamdulillah!"

"adjust your position to sleep well." Khalid told her. His voice was still very hoarse.

She grabbed her cell phone from the bed table to check the time "It's almost Fajr (Morning prayer) time. Let me help you to perform ablution."

"It's ok. I can manage." He pushed his body up into a sitting position,  pushed the blanket away from his body with a swinging motion of his left arm, and rolled to his right. His entire body went rigid.

As soon as he had gotten out his feet, he saw Fajr standing there in front of him with her hand stretched out to take his. He reached for it and she helped him stand.

They stood face to face, inches apart staring at each other in the dim light of the bedroom, saying something without words, deeply drawn to each other.

The call (Adhan) for Morning prayer broke the silence as they both turned their heads toward the window at the same time. Then he continued his way to the bathroom.  When he came out, he found Fajr standing outside the door holding his white towel, the prayer mat was already spread on the floor. She handed him the towel.

"Thank you." he said drying his face with one hand as she slipped past him.

***

At ten o'clock in the morning, Khalid woke up to find himself alone in the room. Hearing the door open, he blinked his eyes open, and glanced at the door. Fajr appeared holding a breakfast tray, a big cup of Karak chai along with scrambled egg, toast and a fluffy croissant. She placed it on the table beside him.

"Good morning!"

Fajr walked over to the curtain, moved it aside, then turned to look at Khalid who was lying motionless in bed, his eyes fixed on the wall.

"Come on! Get up. your breakfast will get cold."

He sat up and kicked the covers off and glanced at the clock.

With a downhearted tone and sulked expression, he replied; "I'm not hungry." It was obvious he was in a bad mood. Fajr could tell by the way he replied.

He started unbuttoning his shirt with his left hand. Fajr moved across the room, took a seat next to him and asked with a concerned voice; "you Ok?"

Khalid sighed, not glancing her way; "Yes. We should return to our apartment today. I have work to do."

"Ok, at least eat something first to take the medicine."

"do not insist, Fajr. I've said I'm not hungry."

He stood up and walked to the bathroom, his mind was focused on how the accident would affect his work and limit his movements.

When he came out of the bathroom, he saw his mother sitting with Fajr on their bed. Khalid approached them taking his mother's hand and placed a kiss on it.

"how are you feeling today? anything hurt you?" Fatima asked him with deep concern.

Khalid forced a smile as he looked up into her worried face. He kept holding her hand; "I'm fine. you don't worry."

She pointed to the tray of his breakfast; "why haven't you eaten yet? sit and eat."

Fajr exchanged a look with her and shrugged.