Chapter 6: "Love Is A Shield"

Tom was still smiling when he crashed into bed later that evening. He looked at Jules's photos again and noticed how happy she looked on her bike. "Good night, Phoenix", he whispered. But while he couldn't get her out of his mind again, it was way too early to talk about serious feelings for her. Should he fall in love with her, so be it.

"So, how's your man? Gotten hold of your heart by now?" Nora asked Jules.
"Nora, please! I don't love him!"
"...yet. Tenner says you'll be head over heels for him in let's say three months."
"Fuck. Off." Jules mouthed, giggled, and threw a little paper ball at her friend. The truth was that she was looking forward to spending time with him again. But that was about it. No matter how often Nora teased her with her non-existent feelings for Tom.

An email popped up in her inbox. "Oh ..."
Nora who often came over to Jules's place to create stuff as she for some reason felt more inspired when being around her best friend raised an eyebrow.
"Hey Jules, Lee Anne here. Video call at 1pm EST?"
That meant 7pm her time. "Yeah, fine! See you then", she quickly replied and then noticed Nora's questioning look. "Looks like I am in for some stuff later today."
"Uhhh, I can already imagine you sitting there, heart eyes galore."
Jules just presented both her middle fingers.

Lee Anne informed Tom about the scheduled video call with Jules, and he couldn't help but smile. "Good."
"But don't you dare flirt, Tom!"
"Says who?"
"Because ever since you saw her, you haven't been able to keep your eyes off her. And I am pretty sure that whoever texted you and you left the room for a moment the other day was her."
He just rolled his eyes again. "And if so – is that a problem?"
"No, it isn't, Tom. It's your life. But keep in mind – she isn't exactly a Scientologist!"
"So what?" he shrugged.

As 1pm respectively 7pm got closer, Jules got a bit nervous. She had no reason to, obviously, as she had totally killed it until now. "You got this, Jules ..." she muttered.

BING!

Showtime.

She switched on her equipment to blab in this zoom call which they had agreed on. "Helloooooo there", she greeted Lee Anne and Tom. Since she had also decided to just wing it once again, she had also put on an oversized black hoodie, with the hood up.
"Hey Jules", Lee Anne spoke first, while Tom at first kept quiet, but then also greeted her: "Hey!" Good to hear her voice again ... and those eyes ...
"So what can I do for you?"
Tom took over: "You think you could arrange a Berlin premiere for the new 'Mission: Impossible' which will be out next year?"
"Shouldn't be much of a big deal. I know a couple of people ..." She grinned. "Plus, some folks over at Zoo Palast owe me one."
"What do you mean?" Lee Anne asked.
"Long story. But let's just say – I know someone there."
Tom and his sister shared a look. "I look forward to hearing that story!" he blurted out. "Because your story telling is insanely good!"
"Haha, thank you!" And for Christ's sake, stop making me all those compliments!
"Would it also be okay for you to come over and do the press tour in time for the release?" Lee Anne wanted to know.
"No prob. I am all Team Tom now."
"Good!" she replied, and Tom flashed a little smile.
"Anything else you need me to do?" Jules asked.
"Well, we got some flight tickets to Florida and back for you, we'd love to show you around down here", Lee Anne said.
Jules couldn't pretend that she hadn't seen the way Tom's eyes lit up for a split second when his sister had mentioned that they had invited her. "How long am I going to stay?"
"A bit over a week. Just to get to know the inner workings a bit."
Jules could only hope that by 'inner workings', Tom's sister didn't mean those of Scientology. "Alright, get those tickets over to me, I'll be on that plane."
Tom felt his heart skip a beat. The prospect of having Jules around for a couple of days, albeit mostly business wise, was something he was looking forward to. ...and while we're at it, I'll lose myself in your eyes.