My respect for her grew immensely and despite our differing beliefs, I found it difficult to dislike her. I didn't withhold information to spite her for her earlier judgment, instead, I went into as much detail as I could. If she had managed to find some way to keep so many people alive and well with the knowledge she'd gained, then she'd earned it.

A few hours must have gone by before the woman standing at the door knocked on it with her knuckles. Gertie had been asking me more about the guard structure Milwaukee had set up and seemed disappointed at the interruption.

"Is it almost time?" Gertie asked loudly enough to be heard through the glass.

The woman nodded.

"Shucks," Gertie said as she stood up straight. "I'd like to continue this – if you wouldn't mind – maybe tomorrow?"

"Sure." I was curious if I could get anything out of her in return.

Gertie began to move about the greenhouse, making sure everything was in its proper place. "You said it was your job to mend clothing, right?"

"What?" Her question caught me off-guard. It had been a passing statement to explain why I hadn't left my assigned apartment often. It wasn't a detail I'd thought she'd even picked up.

Seriously stellar listening skills.

"Do you also knit?" She looked at me expectantly.

"I do, why-"

"That's great!" she exclaimed, cutting me off. "A few outings ago, we found a yarn shop and now we have more yarn than we know what do with. I have some people working on projects during their downtime, but I'd really like to get a couple of scarves or hats done. They're great for trading, especially in this weather."

"And so you want me to knit?" I asked, feeling strangely sick at the prospect.

Gertie pursed her lips in the same way Prisha did when she thought I was being unreasonable. "I wouldn't ask you to do it for free. And if you're staying here anyway, why not put your time to good use?"

I eyed her skeptically. "What could you offer us? Didn't you say that my group didn't need much?"

Gertie took a moment to think before answering. "How many scarves can you get done in the next few days? What if you stayed here for three?"

I had become extremely efficient at scarves during my time locked up. My stomach twisted at the mere thought of touching needless again, but I'd do it if Gertie had an offer worthwhile. "Depends on how bulky the yarn is, but using I can probably make two a day."

Gertie looked thrilled at the prospect. "I need to talk to some people in my group, but if you can make me at least four scarves during your time here, I'll make it well worth your while."

I had no sufficient reason to turn her down. "Alright. You have a deal."

"Wonderful. Then I'll just have Tory take you back for now and someone will drop off your yarn and needles in a bit. Sound good? Need anything else?"

"No, I think we're good." My stomach ached.

Gertie made a motion and I heard the glass door open behind me. "Can you take Kate back?"

"Okay, I just need to tell someone to move the thing first, is that okay?" The woman I assumed was Tory asked. Her question was oddly phrased, but as Gertie held her power in gaining information, it also was clear she kept it by denying information as well.

Gertie gave the woman a nod. "Of course."

I could hear the door slide again as it closed and it gave me the urge to test my waters. After everything I'd given, I wanted to see if I could get a little back. "Do you mind if I ask you a question?"