chapter thirty-four

Start from the beginning

"What's wrong with your face?" He asked, gently gripping Indigo's face.

"She got jumped a few nights ago; she's good, though; Flaire and I took care of it," Devon said.

Devon got a few girls from his block to make every girl who touched Indigo wish they never did.

"How are you here?" Flaire asked.

"I went to the judge who saw all the evidence and called for a new trial, but the DA didn't want to have the press all over them, so they decided to settle quietly," Leval explained.

"I don't like that." Flaire frowned.

"They didn't quietly drag your name through the press when you were a cop killer; they confidently told everyone you were a murderer."

"How will you get your life back?" Flaire asked. "How can you get a job? How can you have a quality of life?"

"He settled for twelve million," Leval said, making their eyes damn near pop out his head. "He is now the chief of the whole department running all firehouses. His quality of life will not be less than."

"I can make all my baby girl millionaires, and I get to be in your lives; that's all I could've asked for," Aziel reassured them. "The worse part about being framed was not being able to console y'all with grieving for y'all mother. She loved y'all so much, and her love may have altered from me, but ultimately, she chose me. She chose to try again with us, and we would've made it work for you guys; I hate we never got the chance to see us fall back in love."

"Well, at least we can start making new memories to replace the bad," Genesis said.

"I want to know everything about y'all lives; update me." He smiled, going to sit on the couch.

"Actually, can I just pull away for a second?" Haven asked. "Ezra's outside, and we haven't talked in a few days."

"Make sure he comes in and speaks to me," Aziel said as she nodded and walked to his car.

She subconsciously smiled when she got into the car, seeing he still had her picture on his dashboard. They were so cute before real-life situations altered their relationship; she could barely look into his eyes.

"My dad is in the house." She blurted out since it was awkward.

"What? This house?" Ezra asked. "How are you feeling?"

"A little bit overwhelmed; seeing him without my mom felt weird."

"Imma go in there and speak; that's my boy." He chuckled. "How you feeling about what happened?"

"I feel heartbroken."

"That's why you can't look at me??" He asked, grabbing her hand and bringing it to his mouth.

"You're throwing me off, Ezra; you sending me mixed signals."

"Haven, what's it been four days since we talked?"

"Four days since you broke up with me, yeah." Haven rolled her eyes.

"Let's have a real honest talk, pretty girl." He said, leaning back. "Do any part of you understand why I feel the way I do?"

"Yes, I understand why you're mad, but you don't understand me."

"I do not understand you," Ezra admitted. "So explain to me."

"You and Regina being friends are intimidating; you guys have something we can never have. When I see Regina, I see her pulling my hair, punching me, and talking about my deceased mother. How can you know everything she did to me and still want to be friends with her, but when I do something, it's your cut-off?"