Chapter 29 - Storm

Start from the beginning

---

Right after Evan got off the bus, he cursed his distaste for umbrellas. As usual, he didn't have any with him, and it was pouring like a torrent now. He wondered if he should have run home from the stop, but he knew that the moment he got out from under the roof, he would be soaked to the bone. He could shift, but that would mean having wet fur, and Evan hated that too. So, he had no choice but to wait for the weather to moderate.

He sat down on the wooden bench and picked up the phone to tell his father that although he was already in North Hallson, it would take him a while to get home. Of course, he found it comical and asked his son to take a photo on the said bench as proof. Evan did so, but he didn't forget to put on the sourest expression he knew how to put on. He didn't even have to see his father to know that he probably burst out laughing.

Evan shuddered. Although he wasn't often cold as a wolf, he had to admit that the temperature had dropped considerably since morning, and he was only wearing a thin flannel shirt. That was exactly his luck. On the very day, he decided to wear something other than a black hoodie, a storm was bound to appear.

For a second, he wished that he and Angie hadn't fought so he wouldn't have to wait out the weather alone. However, he would rather slap himself right after. He didn't understand how he could just forget about her betrayal or think it wasn't so bad. Evan knew he had a bad habit of forgiving people just because he wanted to keep them around, his parents being a clear example, but this time he was sure he wouldn't back down until Angie apologized to him.

"What the hell are you waiting for?" He was apparently so lost in thought that he didn't notice someone appear directly behind him. Evan jumped up, and matching his voice to his face, he quickly turned around. The moment he realized he was alone and his cousin wasn't lurking around the corner, he let out a contented breath he didn't even know he'd been holding.

"You're going to ignore me?" Michael obviously didn't like Evan's reaction and decided to come closer. Evan instinctively moved to the edge of the bench and made room for him.

"What you want?" he asked him, not hiding how he felt in his presence. Michael frowned, taking a drag from a cigarette that Evan failed to notice before. He knew that he used to smoke, but it had been a long time since he had seen him with a cig in his hand.

Michael took another drag and Evan watched the smoke come out of his mouth. Michael caught his eye and silently extended his hand to him. Evan hesitated for a moment, but then took the cancer stick from him, took it to his mouth, and took a drag. It wasn't the first time he'd tasted nicotine, but he honestly couldn't remember the last time he'd felt that bitter taste on his tongue. He had never imagined himself as a smoker, but at the moment he was willing to try anything that would at least bring some peace into his life for a while.

"Didn't take you for a smoker." Evan just shrugged at his remark. He didn't recognize himself for a long time, maybe he could have been a smoker after all.

"What can I say? I'm happy to add to my black sheep reputation." He wasn't sure if it was the cig or his own words that caused the bitter taste in his mouth. Michael took it back without saying a word, and their eyes met for a moment. Evan was surprised at first by his silence, but his concern, which he could clearly see in his eyes, surprised him even more.

"We're not friends," he reminded him, and Michael scowled. It may have sounded harsh, but it was the truth, so Evan wasn't going to apologize for his words. They both knew how they were, and one night at the Rock Pop Diner couldn't just change that.

"Well, your official friend is not here," he commented after a while. Evan didn't feel like explaining again that they had a fight, so he just shrugged. Michael sighed and wordlessly handed him the cig again. It was strange how he sensed the situation and decided not to make it worse. Evan honestly didn't recognize him, but he was grateful at this moment. Quite an irony.

"Not sure I want to be friends with her right now," Evan admitted truthfully. His voice reflected his exasperation as did his nervous biting of the inside of his lip. Apparently, even nicotine could not help him.

"Maybe she's not as good of a friend as you thought," Michael said, and Evan looked up at him sharply. It was a reflex. Although he was angry with Angie, she was still his best friend. He could talk bad about her, but it bothered him when someone else did.

"Just saying," Michael added when he saw his expression. Sighing, Evan lowered his head back to the ground, watching the concrete between his sneakers. Although he wanted to automatically defend her, he didn't feel like talking about her.

"I don't want to talk about her," he said almost inaudibly, but he was sure Michael caught it. He would never have said that empathy would be Michael's strong suit, but he was obviously learning something new every day.

They were both silent, the only interaction between them was passing the cigarette. Surprisingly, it wasn't an awkward silence, but Evan felt strangely content.

The whole situation was stupid. Just a few hours ago, Evan was more than happy, and now all he had to do was change the city, and all he could think about was his messed up life. And worst of all, Evan felt better with Michael by his side. And so, without another word, they finished a cigarette together, then another, and after the sky cleared, they both went their separate ways without saying goodbye.