Chapter 75

Because of Elder Wu's need for magic tools, Master Mao and Minister Lou used almost all their connections in the search for all the magic tools they could find.

But no matter how well-connected they were, in today's post-divinatory era, it was still incredibly difficult to find good magic tools.

Although the magic weapon couldn't be found for a while, Joohyun's first New Year in the capital came first.

Joohyun, wearing a red sweater, helped Mayor Chen put up the couplets, and then went to the kitchen to give Mother Chen a hand. As the mayor's wife, Mother Chen usually didn't cook much, and she herself wasn't very fond of cooking. But every year at New Year's Eve, she would always personally cook the dinner.

One was because the nanny aunt was home for the holidays. The other was that on days like the New Year, Mother Chen wanted everything in the family to be made by her own family.

"Mom, will the dumplings fall off if I stuff them in like this?" Joohyun asked as she packed the sizzling dumplings.

"A bit will, but it won't be terrible," Mother Chen finished and reminded her, "Remember to bring some vinegar too. Dumplings without vinegar will taste a little worse."

"Oh..." Joohyun responded. After thinking for a moment, she asked, "Mom, can Brother eat these things now?"

Chen Yang finally woke up two days before the New Year, and after another 24 hours of observation in the intensive care unit, he was finally transferred to a general ward. Although his condition had greatly improved, he still couldn't be discharged from the hospital in a short time. Mother Chen was afraid that his son would be lonely in the hospital for the New Year, so she prepared some dishes for the New Year's Eve family dinner and planned to go to the hospital to accompany Chen Yang to welcome the New Year.

"He can't," Mother Chen said and packed up the braised pork she had just made.

"Then why are we still preparing so much?" Joohyun wondered.

"We eat them ah. Your brother can watch," Mother Chen said with a smile.

"Mom, are we going there to care for my brother or to stimulate him?" Joohyun couldn't help but stammer.

"It's just a formality. The point is that our family is eating New Year's Eve dinner together." Mother Chen reasoned. She looked at the second floor and said, "Or you should stay at home with Elder Wu."

Mother Chen and Mayor Chen had to go to the hospital to spend the New Year's Eve with Chen Yang, but it would be asking too much to let Elder Wu accompany them. Hence, their reunion meal was scheduled for noon. At dinner, they'd have to come home to accompany Elder Wu for another New Year's Eve dinner together. However, Mother Chen felt that it was quite impolite to leave a guest in the house while the host family headed out.

"It's okay. I talked to the old ma... Grandpa." Under her mother's disapproving gaze, Joohyun changed her address. "Besides... Grandpa never celebrates New Year's Eve. Back when I was in Damu Village, he used to take me out every New Year's Eve."

"Take you out for what?" Mother Chen asked curiously.

"Take me out to exorcise gho... Er... just something like that ah." Noticing that her mother instantly froze, Joohyun hurriedly stopped the conversation.

After saving Chen Yang in the hospital that day, Mr. and Mrs. Chen only asked why Joohyun knew these spells, as well as made sure that the spell that saved Chen Yang would not cause any harm to Joohyun. They didn't ask any more questions after that. They didn't ask, so Joohyun also didn't say much. It was just that when they talked occasionally, they would no longer deliberately and sedulously avoid the topic as before.