Chapter Five ~ Felix

Felix was happy – happier than he’d ever been before (and that was saying something). Since Hyunjin had come into his life, the world had been transformed. Everything seemed brighter, more colourful, more beautiful. The sun shone every day, and people seemed to be smiling more and more.

It was as if Hyunjin radiated positive energy, and it affected everyone and everything around him. He was no longer the frightened, lonely boy Felix had found in the alleyway. Now he was confident and care-free, and everyone loved him.

It hadn't always been like that, though. Things had got off to a fairly rocky start, and Felix had wondered briefly if he'd made a mistake. If maybe he'd been a bit too hasty and altogether too trusting, inviting a virtual stranger into his home.

He wondered if he should have asked more questions, and found out more information about the mysterious boy. I mean, he could have been anyone!

Felix had even offered him his own bed, since there was only one in the apartment, and he'd thought for a while that he'd never get it back. But then, suddenly, a few days later, Hyunjin had insisted on using the lounge instead.

From then on, Felix had noticed a marked improvement - the blonde seemed to be trying his hardest to do better, both at work and at home. Felix didn’t know what had prompted the change, but he couldn't deny that the results were amazing!

A month ago Hyunjin had known nothing about working in a café, but after that first disastrous day, he'd been an excellent student, learning everything Felix taught him in record time. The freckled boy loved Hyunjin’s insatiable curiosity, and gladly taught him everything he wanted to know.

It wasn’t just at the café, either. Felix had started out cooking dinner for the two of them every night, but soon Hyunjin wanted to help and learn for himself. So now they always cooked dinner together. One day soon, Felix was going to teach the taller boy how to bake brownies, too.

Felix loved cooking with Hyunjin, but what he loved even more was what they did later: relaxing together in front of the TV, watching a movie or a drama, and feasting on hot chocolate and their favourite snacks. That was by far the happiest part of Felix’s day.

Tonight, when they entered the apartment and put the bags of shopping in the kitchen, Hyunjin let out a huge yawn. Glancing at him, Felix noticed the bags under his eyes, and remembered how busy it had been at the café all day.

“Why don’t you go and rest for a while, Hyunjinnie? You look like you’re about to fall asleep! I’ll make dinner tonight.”

“But…”

“Go on, you’ve worked enough for one day, and I don’t want you accidentally cutting yourself or anything.”

Hyunjin gazed at Felix with a tired smile. “Okay. Wake me up when it’s ready.”

And with that, he headed off into the loungeroom, collapsing onto the lounge with a sigh.

After Felix had unpacked the food and started chopping the meat and vegetables, he glanced through the doorway into the loungeroom. He could see that Hyunjin had stretched out on the big lounge, and his golden hair was spread out over the cushion like a halo.

“God, you’re so beautiful,” Felix whispered. His hands stilled as he gazed in awe and wonder at the other boy.

Suddenly a sharp pain made him gasp. He looked down to see that the knife had slipped, cutting into one of his fingers. Quickly pressing a tissue to the wound, he went to the bathroom and got a Band-Aid. After wrapping it round his finger, he returned to the kitchen and finished cutting up the food. Idiot, he thought.