Chapter Two ~ Felix

As soon as they started down the street, Felix noticed Hyunjin become tense, a look of mild panic on his beautiful face. He squeezed the other boy's hand reassuringly.

"Don't worry - it's not far."

And in fact, it wasn't far at all. A few short minutes later, only a couple of blocks down the road, they stopped in front of a glass-fronted café that they could see was already filling with customers.

"Here we are!" Felix announced with a grin. He went to open the door, but was stopped by Hyunjin's hand, which was still clasped in his. Turning around, he saw that the taller boy was standing stock-still, staring at the café's window with wide eyes.

Following his gaze, Felix realised he was looking at the display stuck on the glass. He'd seen it every day since he started working here, but it never failed to make him smile. It was a scene of angels flying around, and in the centre, St Peter guarding the Pearly Gates. Above the picture were the words "Heaven's Gate" in big, fancy letters.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" the freckled boy asked. "I've always been fascinated by angels. I often wonder if they're actually real and we just can't see them. What do you think?"

He turned to see the other boy's mouth opening and closing, a look of shock on his angelic face.

"I-"

But whatever Hyunjin had been about to say got cut off by a tapping on the glass. Both boys looked at the window again and saw a middle-aged woman in an apron gesturing impatiently at Felix.

"Oops! That's my boss - I better get in there or she'll kill me for sure!"

Smiling apologetically at the woman, Felix quickly led Hyunjin through the door of the café. His boss was actually one of the kindest people he knew and had never even said a harsh word to him, let alone punished him in any way. (Of course, that was because she'd never had a reason to, Felix being the best employee she'd ever had.) But Felix didn't want to take even one step out of line, just in case.

Leaving Hyunjin at a small table near the counter, the dark-haired boy quickly made his way to the staff area, bowing to his boss on the way. He put his bag down and exchanged his jacket for a stylish black apron with little angels embroidered on it.

When he came back out into the café, he saw that Hyunjin had made himself comfortable and was busy gazing about him, marveling at everything he saw.

Felix smiled to himself as he greeted some customers and wrote their orders on his notepad. After passing the orders to the barista, he put the notepad down and headed over to Hyunjin's table.

Just as he was stepping out from behind the counter, though, he felt a hand on his arm. Turning, surprised, he saw his boss looking at him inquisitively.

"Who's the boy, Felix-ah? Is he a friend of yours? I haven't seen him around before."

She turned to gaze in Hyunjin's direction for a moment, and her brow furrowed.

"He looks kind of ... lost..."

Felix gazed at Hyunjin too, a sad look on his face.

"His name's Hyunjin. I met him on my way here, so I don't know anything about him. But I think something happened to him - when I found him, he was down an alleyway, all by himself, and looking very scared."

Felix looked at his boss again. "I want to help him, noona. I can't bear to see him all alone, with no one to look after him."

The woman smiled, her eyes crinkling.

"Of course you do, Felix-ah, you're the kindest person I know. I'll tell you what: you go talk to him and find out what you can. I'll make him a drink. Iced Americano?"