Chapter 26 - For The Summertime [M]

Start from the beginning

Eren grimaced at the memory. You only saw the aftermath of his decision to follow you to Dauper during a snowstorm. It was hard to imagine how scary spinning out on the side of a mountain in a shitty pickup truck would be. "Yeah...you've got a good point there."

Before you made final preparations to begin the drive, your mother and Carla stood at the doorway of your home. Your mother first hugged you goodbye and said, "I'm so glad you're not going alone anymore." Her words touched you, appreciating the fact that she could see your growth over the last few months. She turned to Eren, giving him a familiar hug and said, "Don't you worry about your mother. I'll take good care of her. You take care of my daughter."

Eren grinned down at you and reassured her of his lifelong promise. "Of course, I always do." He bent down and gave Carla a hug who was sitting on her walker, taking in the early summer sunrise. She seemed almost translucent, her pale skin was like a map of her blue veins. "Love you, ma."

She caressed the side of his jaw and gave him a light tap. "You're only going to be gone for the weekend. Wipe that worried look off your face, I'll be fine." She glanced at you and gave you a wink. "You take care of my daughter-in-law." You could see Eren stiffen before stepping back and Carla only laughed in response. You knew Carla was as good as family, but you never stopped to consider the possibility of a bond through marriage. You could feel your cheeks heat up as you reached down to hug Carla, careful not to squeeze too hard. If anything, she was the one that was holding on tighter. She only whispered, "Thank you, sweetie." before pulling away, leaving you slightly confused by her need to thank you.

As you piled in the car, your mothers both waved from the porch. As you waved back, Eren said, "Sorry about what my mom said. I hope it didn't make you uncomfortable."

You looked over at him and he had an awkward look on his face, you had to resist reaching over and pinching him in the cheeks. "Of course not. Your mom is always talking like that."

Eren's eyes widened. "Really? She says stuff like that to you too?" He threw his head backwards on the headrest and puffed his cheeks, raising his eyebrows. "Maybe it's her fault I love you so much."

You smirked, finally reaching over to thump a closed fist on his solid chest. "Yeah, she definitely indoctrinated me into your family." You kept your eyes forward on the road and smiled to yourself as you turned the radio on. "I guess I'm never going to leave now."

You felt Eren take your hand and lace your fingers together, feeling his thumb and pointer finger massage your knuckles. He lifted your hand close to his face and you felt him place small pecks on different spots before resting it in his lap. You could barely hear him over the music as he muttered, the joking tone was gone, "I really wish that were true."

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*

You shook Eren's shoulder awake at the sight of the large mountains encroaching your view. It was only going to be a few more minutes before arriving at Sasha's home. Driving your car deeper into the valley and slowly surrounding yourself with the jagged landscapes was always your favourite part. Although you missed the snow-capped peaks and dusty white trees, seeing nature come alive in the summer was just as impressive.

"Wake up! You're going to miss the view!" you said, shaking him again.

Eren snorted himself to consciousness. "Hng...wh-ut...?" You didn't mind that he spent most of the drive sleeping, just the sounds of him resting were enough to keep you going. "We're here already?"

You laughed, drinking in the sights and rolling down your windows to breathe in the fresh mountain air.

"That drive seems a lot slower in the winter," he commented, stretching his arms high into the roof of your car and his legs straight in front of him.