"But I was so aggressive!"

"I would've been worse!"

"That doesn't make it right!"

"Screw it!"

"No!" I stood abruptly, "I have to make amends with her,"

"Why do you always have to be so good?" Lara huffed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Because my life has just begun. There's no more prophecies, no more outskirts, no more loose ends. I cannot take my first steps by scarring a widow who may or may not have fancied my male. For goddess's sake, she didn't even touch him and I held a dagger to her neck," I scoffed at myself as I pushed my chair back under the table, "I'll see you in a bit. I'll head to her bakery,"

"Don't forget, tonight, you're meeting my oldest son!" She pointed an accusing finger at me, squinting her eyes, "He's been dying to meet you ever since I spoke of your name,"

"I'll meet him. What time again?" I asked, walking to the door.

"Leil finishes work at the ministry at 6 so, let's say 8pm,"

I halted in my steps, unmoving.

"What was his name again?" I turned around, facing Lara.

"Leil," She shrugged, an embarrassed smile coming onto her lips, "You're the reason he didn't die. If it wasn't for you finding me in the castle all bloodied up that night, he wouldn't be here,"

My heart stung.

Without a second thought, I ran towards Lara and engulfed her in my arms - squeezing her tall body in my arms.

"This is disgusting," She mumbled, squeezing me even tighter.

"It really is," I agreed.

LUCA

I slammed the door of the bakery shut, flipping the sign so it signalled closed to anyone who decided to purchased pastries.

There stood Alia, wiping at tables that did not need to be cleaned as dried tears crusted onto her plump cheeks. Her eyes snapped upwards, connecting to mine as she fisted the cloth in her hands.

"Luca-"

"It's king to you," I interrupted, walking towards her.

"I'm sorry- wallah- I swear to the goddess I'm sorry, king," Tears blurred her chocolate brown eyes as she spoke, "If you would just give me a chance to explain myself-"

"What is there to explain?" I scoffed, "You lied. You lied and didn't even think to correct your lie when my woman asked you,"

"Lu-King," She corrected, taking a deep breath before continuing, "I know what grief is like. I know how it makes one think. Tell me, now, would you have opened up to me as much if I had told you I lost my male years ago? Everything I told you was the truth. Everything- how I felt and how I still feel is the truth! I knew that you would have seen me as any other widow if I hadn't bonded with you over the fact that I lost my male just as quickly as you did!"

"That doesn't make it right," I scowled, "And you're right, I would have terminated any other meeting with you if it weren't for the fact that you lost your male like I did my woman,"

"You broke my heart, Luca," She croaked, "I'd been watching you for months, yet everywhere you walked, waves of grief would spill from your soul with every step you took. The same way I wished I was helped, I thought I could help you," She shrugged with defeat, eyes snapping away from mine, "But my feelings developed into so much more, and I couldn't stop myself,"