𝘁𝘄𝗼

➶➶➶➶➶ ☆ ➷➷➷➷➷

If Kyungmin's parents caught him skipping study again this week, apparently their threat was along the lines of having to sleep in the shed tonight, so they parted ways, promising to see each other on the weekend. It wasn't dark yet, so I didn't think my mum would be bothered.

He'd given me an outline of what to expect. It seemed the usual, if not just a little more snobby due to the expensive tuition. But they had a swim and track club, so I wasn't complaining.

Clouds covered the late afternoon sky, transitioning to evening, so I took my sunglasses off and went to get the things on mum's list. On my way down the shop-lined street, I passed various teen groups in uniforms, some of which looked awfully like MNH's. Dressed in baggy track pants and a loose band shirt, my casual chic bordered on frumpy hermit. That, and I wasn't wearing any makeup, so I pulled my mask a little higher and ducked my head as I passed them.

I wasn't that embarrassed to be seen without makeup, but bare-faced cavewoman was another first impression I didn't want to make. With Kyungmin, I didn't care, and we had gone out before other students were out of study classes. And I was wearing sunglasses. 

I slowed at a nail salon that had a poster on the window saying: STUDENTS GET HALF PRICE - DEAL ENDS **/**. That was today's date. I'd received my student ID card yesterday, and surely mum wouldn't be mad if I was home a little late. Even though we weren't poor, my parents had always instilled being conscious of spending. Being well-off didn't mean one should fritter money.

So being the shallow twat that I was, I went to get a manny petty after texting my mum. My dad's only paternal advice had always been: Don't do drugs and don't get a shaved sides punk mohawk. Honestly, it was solid advice.

I hadn't kept track of the time, but by the time I exited the salon with my new nails, it was dusk

I hadn't kept track of the time, but by the time I exited the salon with my new nails, it was dusk. It also occurred to me that MNH might have a strict policy against acrylics. Surely what I got was subtle enough not to get me in trouble? Sunflowers had always been my favourites.

I didn't want to get in trouble at home either, so I hurried to the corner store, taking the shortcut my phone offered. I was too focused on the directions that I didn't notice in time to move aside when some guy running from the opposite way bumped into me. It wasn't that hard, and he immediately apologised, though only slowed for a moment to do so. Wow, he looked really out of breath. Maybe he was late for a train or something? Or not, seeing as a minute later a store owner came running out after the guy shouting: "I've called the police you little thief!" I felt bad for the store owner, and so told him I saw the guy run towards the train station. At least it would give the police a general direction.

I shrugged and continued on, the shortcut on my app telling me I'd be at the corner store in five minutes.

It was cooler now, and far less crowded, which is why the sounds of hushed but heated arguing were so discernable.