45. identity

identity: (noun)
1. the fact of being who or what a person or thing is.

Even in October the weather has been bright and hopeful

Even in October the weather has been bright and hopeful. It's the end of an era for me and Ash, probation is over and summer is pretty much done. Time to get on with our new lives together, well... outside of curfew hours.

We're currently chilling in the park with a beer and some pizza from the pop-up truck at the entrance. It's slightly chilly but we knew to come in jumpers and jackets.

Sometimes it's nice to get out of the house and spend time outside. I certainly need it.

"Do you always go for a margarita?" Ash asks as he points to my pizza in my hand.

I shrug. "Yeah. Call me basic but it's the best."

"You can't beat plain cheese, that's true."

"You got plans tomorrow?" I question before taking a big bite, the cheese now dribbling down my chin.

Ash's eyes float to the mess I've made and smiles. "Not really, I think my mum wants to discuss modelling stuff with me but not like she used to. Think it's more of a friendly conversation now she's not shoving so many castings down my neck."

"Is she going to miss managing you?"

"Probably," he nods. "But it's best if I get someone else to do it to save our relationship."

My mouth opens to speak but my phone vibrates in my pocket, I pull it out to look at the caller ID and I'm surprised to see Elijah's name across the screen. It's been a while since I last saw him, one because I didn't want to see Reese but also because of all the shit with my dad.

It's been a crazy few weeks.

I hit the answer button and raise it to my ear. "Hey man," I say.

"Hey," Elijah's voice is soft. "I'm just with Ciara and Jules. I was wondering if we could meet up today. I heard about your dad, I'm so sorry, Bodi. We should have been there for you."

My eyes flick to Ash because I know he can't hear the conversation. "Oh, yeah it's okay. I didn't really tell anyone. Was just trying to deal with shit on my own."

"I get that, man," he sighs. "I'm still sorry. Could we come to see you?"

I swallow the piece of pizza in my mouth and stare at Ash. He frowns in my direction, something about letting him and Ciara in the same space makes me feel uncomfortable, but I'd like to think we're over that situation now and we can all be civil.

"Can I text you in like ten minutes?"

"Yeah sure, man. We're around so just let us know."

"Okay, see you."

"Bye." He says before I cut off the call.

Ash leans forward to catch my attention as I stare at my phone. "Who was that?"