Chapter 5 (Simone)

I wake up to the sound of Fifi shuffling around my room.

"Morning, sunshine!" She pauses, looking at me with concern. "I already know the answer... but how'd you sleep?"

I actually feel rested, but that dream was far from peaceful. "I'm... okay. I'm still processing what the hell happened last night."

I see her grabbing cleaning supplies. "Whatcha doin'?" Like I don't already know.

"Girl, this shower looks like a butcher shop. And I'd be damned if I shower in blo—.... my bad... that was really insensitive."

I must've made a face... oops. "You good, Fi. It was actually funny when you said it. I could use a little humor right now."

Realistically, she took a shower last night before I got home. She only showers at night. She just mentioned showering soon so I don't feel bad for ruining our shower... which I still do... but I'm glad she cares. I get on my knees and start scrubbing the shower with her.

"I'm sorry, Fifi... I should've—"

"Girl, stop it! NOW! You just went through probably the most traumatic experience of your life. You shouldn't have to clean up this mess alone."

Damn it. She has a point. There are very few life experiences that I have that will affect me as much as knowing that I just killed five men with no idea how I did it.

"I know, but I just feel bad for leaving this shower so bloody overnight." It really is disgusting in here. Where's the—oh. Bleach. The magic stuff. That's exactly what this shower needs.

"Simi, this is damn near how we met, gross and bloody," she says playfully, giggling. Again, she's not wrong.

---

As a teenager, I didn't spend much time around other children, especially other girls, so I had no idea how periods worked. But that first one is a moment I'll never forget. I remember it like it was yesterday.

We met at the old carnival. I used to love that place—the smell of fried dough in the air mixing with the saltwater breeze, the sound of children playing, the vibrant lights twinkling against the twilight sky. What used to be a villa of excitement and joy has since been taken over by the Marassa gang.

It was the middle of fall, and my childhood friend Amy had her mom drop us off. I'd scraped enough money together from finding spare change under the pier. Kids try to get good luck by throwing coins into the ocean, so the sand under the pier is plentiful with them. I had enough for a ticket, a funnel cake, and if I was lucky, five rides. Little did I know, I'd only ride one before one of the most embarrassing moments of my life occurred.

We bought our tickets and walked onto the pier, excited like kids in a candy store. The pier was bustling with life, the air filled with laughter and the distant sound of carnival games. The smell of popcorn and cotton candy wafted through the air. We agreed on the roller coaster as our first stop, then onto the funnel cakes. The line was pretty short, so we were seated quickly. The ride was exhilarating, the wind whipping through our hair, laughter echoing around us. But then... IT happened.

Amy looked me up and down with an intense glare of disgust. She shook her head and simply walked away. Confused, I called to her, "Amy! What the hell? No funnel cakes?" but she'd already disappeared into the crowd. Some friend she was to ditch me like that. I guess I'll get a funnel cake and eat it alone... being in foster care, you kinda get used to being left alone. I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned to see a short Asian girl.

"Hey girl, I know I don't know you, but take my jacket, wrap it around your waist and follow me."

The hell? Why would I just follow some random girl?

"Listen. I know it's a weird thing, and I don't want you to be embarrassed, but you bled through your pants. You look like my size. I have pants in my car, so follow me. Wrap my jacket so nobody sees."

Fuck. That's why Amy left. Now I'm pissed. Instead of helping me out, that bitch ditched me. I tied the jacket around my waist and followed the girl.

"I'm Phuong, by the way." She was sweet. Her voice was calming. I could tell she'd been here before by the caring tone in her voice.

"I'm Simone." We rushed to her car, and she grabbed a pair of sweats and a pad.

"Yeah, these should fit. You miscalculated your period, huh? I've been there."

Embarrassed, I replied, "Actually... I've never had one..."

She hugged me—the first real hug I'd ever gotten. "Don't trip. I gotchu." She helped me get all cleaned up, and then we shared a funnel cake. We've been inseparable ever since.

---

"Haha, you right, Fi, we did meet under similar circumstances, huh?"

High-pitched whine

"Shit! There it is again!" My head is pulsating.

"Sim! You okay?" Fifi looks at me, concern etched on her face.

I clutch my head, wincing.

I try to steady my breathing. "I love you, Fi. You've always been there for me, ever since that day at the carnival."

"And I always will be," she says firmly, gripping my hand.