Why wouldn't he be? This meeting was none of your business, but yet now he is forced to have you in here.

I tried my best to be a shadow in the background, but I kept catching the eyes of both men as they seemed to take turns and watch me in silent consideration. The moment would pass, their words would never falter as they went back to work, but I felt they took with them more and more of calmness each time.

From what I could gather, Hayden was asking questions and gathering information on someone in politics, our governor I decided, but I couldn't quite catch the name so I couldn't be sure. I frowned as I watched Hayden move, but so did Mark. He was clearly wary of Hayden's interest, and the only reason I knew he felt that was because his tell was the same as his nephew's.

They kept their words purposely bland otherwise. I chewed lightly on the edge of my lip in observation as I traced my bag, piecing together what little information they offered me. The way Mark watched Hayden distrustfully, but still answered his questions made my teeth tug slightly harder on my skin. So even though this man doesn't trust you, why has he still decided to see you, Hayden; relenting to this meeting and keeping up with the vagueness of your questions? Again Mark hesitated over a word, and proceeded with a more cautious answer to Hayden's question, which I hadn't heard.

But I didn't believe this was done out of family love or some supposed loyal bond.  The same situation could be seen between my mother and I; she kept my secret too and played cautious by the rules around us. It by no means made her a good person or even an ally. It almost felt instead like I was trapped in a world only we were in, and it made my life that much harder.

That dark distorted face Hayden wore a few weeks ago was not far from my mind. Though in this moment he was cordial and calm... I could still see it; that hatred, anger, and betrayal. And I would never forget it.

Yes, I raised my eyes as I found Mark again, you can not be trusted.

He was watching me back, hands finally folded in front of his mouth. After a moment of unwavering eye contact, his lip rose ever so slightly into the resemblance of a smile.

"I must ask your forgiveness today for our oversight in letting Mr. Steward get passed security, but I hope otherwise you are unharmed. It was a pleasure meeting you Alys."

I stood cordially and nodded my head towards him. "I appreciate your concern, and yes I am fine now. Thank you for allowing me to sit in here even though you were working."

He inclined his head slightly just as Hayden again put himself between us again, grabbing the papers off the desk.

"Uncle," he said evenly.  Mark's gaze flickered to Hayden's face for a moment before he stood and buttoned his suite jacket. "I will walk you both out, I have a meeting anyways."

And at that Hayden moved towards the hallway and I trailed closely behind him. I could feel that nuclear aurora radiating from his skin and I wondered in fear whether it was from his uncle... or because of me.

Just as we neared the elevators, my eyes rose and met a woman's as she left a room labeled Legal Stenographer. She froze as she watched me, and I almost faltered on my steps too.

"Alys?" she whispered, but I was already moving swiftly, pulling Hayden with me into the now open elevator door. He glanced quickly down at me, then across the room to where the woman sat dumfounded- still staring at me with wide eyes.

I jammed the button closed, and the elevators immediately obeyed.

But the last thing I realized as they swept shut; Mark Donovan was staring at her too.