SEQUEL - Chapter 39

Start from the beginning

"I will spell it out to you if I have to," Max said before lifting his hand to show him three fingers raised. "There are three things we want. We want to be able to get married, we want full custody of our children, both of us and we want the foundation as far away from our family as possible while maintaining my fiancée's inheritance. You are our lawyer team, so do make it possible."

"Max," Joanna warned him quietly, but he felt as if he was in the right. They have sat here and listened to these people talk and not one had given them at least a good idea on how to solve the problem at hand, but Max wouldn't give up, not after everything they had to go through. Joanna had finally agreed upon marrying him and no contract in the world would stop him now from making her his wife.

"Ms Lauda such expectations can't be met. I'm afraid I can't help with that." The lawyer spoke up, causing Max to let himself flop back into his seat.

"Great." He spoke. "Just great. And why did that take you so fucking long to admit?"

"Max," Joanna warned again, while the lawyers seemed to search for the right thing to say. He had known before that Ms Lauda was intending to marry someone which the foundation would never agree with, but that that man was so unagreeable was to his own surprise.

"I can understand that the concept of a family foundation for their protection from Golddiggers and other people which would only cause the families reputation harm is foreign to you but you're intending to marry into a family of old money with a lot of prestige, I advise you to swiftly learn your place in this world. Vienna is different from everything you know. In Monaco you might be a young millionaire and your way of living is fitting, but this house is full of tradition, traditions and rules you clearly don't understand just now. You are young money and in Austrian we look down at people like you, who think that marrying someone as well-respected as Ms Lauda will hide where you come from." The lawyer spoke, which caused Joanna to get up from her seat, her hands flat on the table.

"That's enough." She warned the older man, who just ducked his head. "You may leave us now." She ordered which caused the man to look at her, not believing his ears, before he got up and pushed the chair back with a screeching sound, before he gave Joanna a nod of respect and left the room.

"Anyone else?" She asked looking at each and every member of the remaining round of lawyers before she sat down again.

"I have enough as well," Max muttered before he got up from his seat, Joanna's hand falling from his as the Dutchman moved to leave through the French doors to step onto the balcony and then into the garden.

He might fit into this home and like living here with Joanna, but he will never fit in with these people. It was a mistake to believe Vienna to be anything like Monaco. All of this was ridiculous, all these rules and expectations he had to follow and fulfil just because he had fallen in love with Joanna.

"Hard time?" A familiar voice asked which caused Max to look over his shoulder at Adrian, who was standing next to Patrick, one of the gardeners he had just given instructions.

"You have no idea," Max told the old Austrian, who came over to join Max's side as the young Dutch moved through the garden areas. Originally he wanted a moment to himself, but something like that was rare in the Lauda House if they weren't in their private quarters. He should have never allowed Joanna to leave their bed this morning. Three days of alone time just in their most private living rooms, with the maids bringing them food and their phones turned off, only for the most important people to reach them over Adrian, if there was an emergency, was not nearly enough.

Max had enjoyed the time with his little family. Spending more time in bed together than the last several months together, watching everything and nothing on the tv while being more coughed up with each other than the program. Feeling his son kick and soothing him with racing stories, so Joanna could sleep some more.