Chapter 49

So, my friends. It's been some days and I finally came up with something. I hope you enjoy it. Let me know what you think! Happy reading. 

-----------------

Daniel was living his life on autopilot. Between worrying for Max and being fucking furious with Joanna. At some point, he lost count of the days which were slipping away. He was one of the few drivers who actually took part in the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix but watching Nico Rosberg win after abandoning him and the others in Brasil wasn't something he wanted to see.

He wanted to fight him for Lewis, make him understand that the Brit was angry with him, even though Lewis wasn't but Daniel felt like he should have been. The Aussie still didn't understand where Lewis was coming from. How he managed to forgive such a betrayal, but he also wouldn't ask. Daniel wasn't ready for another of Lewis's speeches.

After finally being ready to leave Abu Dhabi, Daniel wanted nothing more than to finally fly home. Oz was waiting for him. His mother, which would simply pull him into a tight hug and not ask questions until Daniel was ready to tell her what had happened which made him so upset. His father, who would make him laugh before bulling him into playing some dumb board games. His sister, who would give him a disapproving glance, when he would tell them that he still wasn't able to have a grip on his own life, before giving him good advice.

He wanted to tell his mother about Joanna and how fucking betrayed he felt, by her and Jules. Both of them had betrayed him. His mother would know to say something smart, something which would make Daniel feel better, but he couldn't fly back to Australia. Max needed him close.

Max needed him and so he would stay in Monaco despite wanting nothing more than simply running away to his mother and father, into their waiting arms, but he wasn't like Jules and Joanna, he didn't just abandon his friend who needed him. Daniel wasn't like them, he would be there for Max and if it was the last thing he ever did.

Waking up in the middle of the pool on a unicorn floaty, Daniel swatted at the sunglasses which were in his hair until they fell over his eyes, which caused him to hum satisfied before he looked over to the terrasse, but Max was nowhere to be seen, so he decided to paddle over to the solid ground before climbing over, with only half his body dripping wet, because of his involuntary dip in the pool while crawling over.

Stumping through the maze of half-drunken bottles of beer, vodka, and wine Daniel only nearly facepalmed the hard wooden surface of the terrasse once, before he managed to reach the doors which lead inside.

Entering the apartment, he saw Max looking over to him from where he was sitting on the couch, a Red Bull in hand. Rolling his eyes, he threw a towel at Daniel as he saw the puddle the Aussie was standing in. Most likely ruining Joanna's dark hardwood floor.

"Why are you up already?" Daniel wanted to know as he flopped down on the couch with his still wet swim trucks, causing Max to shove him off. This wasn't their apartment after all and despite knowing that Joanna didn't really care about material things, he knew that Martha did and she would come over later to do the cleaning like every Thursday.

"It's noon." Max deadpanned, but Daniel didn't really care for that, only angrily glaring at Max for shoving him to the ground.

"Gosh, mate not so loud," Daniel complained while climbing to his feet again only to vanish in Joanna's guestroom, before coming back in a pair of boxer shorts and a shirt that was far too big on his frame.

"I talked with Lewis, we're worried about you, man," Max said from his place on the sofa, not looking up from his phone causing Daniel to frown before he jumped on the couch next to Max, earning him an eyeroll before the Dutchman put his phone to the side, facing the Aussie.