SEQUEL - Chapter 26

Hello. So, I thought about dropping this and running away again, but then I thought no. If I had to suffer through writing this over 8k long piece then you have to suffer through my note. They have to be famous by now. So no. I did not stop writing. Well, I did, but I don't end the story here. I know people were confused after the last chapter. I meant it was the last chapter in Austria. Nothing else. The reason for the chapter. I was threatened to write this, by my dear friend @justanna. She said she would spoil my whole plot if I don't write. Don't thank her, if you wanna thank someone, thank me. Jesus, I am megalomaniac. Anyway. Cheers!

<><><>

Distance was never something that really existed between them. No, they were maybe far too close. There was always pushing and pulling, their hands on each other, even when they didn't want to see the other's face. It was a connection which moved beyond attraction and lust. Max was the other half of Joanna's soul and so was she.

There was not even a physical connection needed for them to feel the other was by their side. Joanna had gotten so used to it. Even in their worst times, the Austrian knew that once the rain clouds would pass, she would walk into the sunshine with Max by her side. They both knew that which is why they were able to overcome so much. There was always a certain ... holding onto each other, until now.

For Joanna, it wasn't the first time Max tried to push her away, over the time they already knew each other and were involved in a romantic way, but this time it was different. She had thought that he would regret it the moment he walked out of the hospital, that he would turn around and run back to her, to keep the connection they always had open and flourishing, but this time, as they said their sporadic goodbyes, due to Joanna's sour mood and stubbornness and Max restraint and visible tiredness, he didn't turn around again to look at her one last time. He didn't pause to savour one last look at her. He simply left and Joanna felt as if this time, he left for good.

Max wasn't one to punish the people he loved, but that's exactly how Joanna felt. Punished for all the things that had happened in the last few weeks as if everything of it had been her fault. As if Max was just a bystander, who left the crime scene now before it was too late. She felt lost, pushed away, given up upon.

Maybe he would have turned around and looked at her again if she wouldn't have been too pushy, even needy before. If she would have listened to Max and not told him right away that what he was doing was bullshit, but she couldn't help herself. He was confused, his memories all over the place and instead of staying with her, where she could try to help him sort it all out, he run away. Ironically, it bothered Joanna that he did exactly what he always accused her of doing.

He was in Silverstone now and Joanna was at home in Austria. Too many miles in between them. Causing her to feel like a bird with clipped wings, doomed to stay on the floor for eternity. Her golden cage was her own, she owned it, but her prisoner was someone else. She knew that much. Even though she wasn't here and even though she felt caged, it was Max who was living in this golden cage as much as she did. His wings weren't clipped, but he was as doomed to stay on the floor for eternity.

Stepping through the French doors onto the stone terrasse, Joanna overlooked the backyard of the Lauda House. The lawn as wide and lush as always, the fountain loaded with waterlilies and the mighty trees blocking the view of the city hidden behind the forest.

She felt so utterly lonely here. This house never felt like home. Her home was currently in Silverstone trying to deny that he was the other side of her coin.

Cradling her broken arm which was put in a cast towards her chest some more, Joanna walked down the stairs carefully, one step after the other. Her body still hurt from the impact, with every step, with every movement, no matter how little. She still wondered which guardian angel was holding its hand over them so they could walk away from that crash relatively unshattered. The Austrian liked the thought that it was her father, who wanted his grandson to leave an imprint on this earth.