Chapter 5

It had been a week and a half and still nothing. Cullen had not done anything suspicious. He had not attacked us. He did not even seem remotely interested in knowing anything about us.

Worst of all, while Kane could go anywhere he wanted, I was confined to the walls of the crappy apartment, because as far as we were concerned, Cullen did not know we had been sent here by the Zander, so he also would not know that two people had been sent here, hence, revealing me would be a liability.

Yet, I felt trapped in this agreement I had made with Kane, about me staying in the apartment till I was needed. In fact, I felt tricked, and it infuriated me to no end.

With no more missions, no contact with anybody but Kane; who spoke with the vocabulary of a toddler, and nowhere to be, all I did with my days was workout, cook and read. Luckily, I had convinced Kane to buy some books for me at the store, along with a metal bar and mat for my workouts. Even if he did so begrudgingly, it had been part of the agreement we had made.

It almost made me feel sad that Kane had come to an agreement so easily as I had with him. We had not even fought. In fact, even the short dispute before was quite civil actually, or pathetically weak (as Kane would say).

In fact, I felt largely disappointed that he had not put up a fight. A fight I had been spoiling for, for days,  and I was angry that he had not given it me then and I was even angrier I had not put up one either.

For the past week Kane had only spent a short while in the apartment, leaving at midday and coming back in the early hours of the morning. Having just enough time to sleep before he rushed off to follow Cullen again. Cullen among other things, seemed to be an avid partier and while my situation was much worse, Kane's didn't seem much better.

I looked at the time, it was 4 am so Kane would be back soon. I looked down at my booklet and at the persona I had for myself. While, Kane had been out following Cullen these past days I had taken it upon myself to edit my persona, there was no way I was going to stay cooped up inside the apartment and let Kane do all the work, and this would be the perfect way out!

I looked down at the tracker we were using on Cullen and smiled with excitement as I saw that he was in the building now, that must mean Kane was not far behind. Taking a deep breath, I went to stand in the shadowy corner of the room behind the ledge, waiting in anticipation for Kane to come so that I could corner him with my idea and force him to accept it.

There was a thump against the door, as if somebody was leaning against it for support and I heard beyond it the slight jangle of keys as it fit into the lock and somebody fumbled with it. Then, I heard what's sounded to me like light laughter coming from behind the door and I knew something was off.

The door clicked open and I tensed up, my hand quickly reaching for the knife in my back pocket.

Kane always knocked.

That was what he was supposed to do.

We had agreed on it; one soft knock with a long pause and two quick hard knocks in rapid succession.

Something was wrong. Something had happened.

I counted to three in my head, calming myself, slowing my breaths as the light from the corridor grew larger in the apartment.

1...2.....3.........I needed to surprise them. Take them off their guard.When I attack, they cannot see me coming.

At the back of my mind, I was thinking through every scenario of what could have happened. I looked at the tracker still in my hand, Cullen was now in the landing. Shit. What if it was Cullen?

If he was here, if he was the one opening the door, then something must have happened to Kane, and oddly enough, instead of feeling somewhat excited at the prospect, I felt a bit panicked. Kane was the only person who had ever beaten me at anything and if this person had gotten the better of Kane, then there was no telling what he could do to me.

The light from the corridor grew larger and finally, the door fell wide open with a slam.

There was laughter from the corridor as I heard the thud of footsteps, and saw a dark figure stagger in. A man. Not Cullen though. The build just wasn't the same.

I held by breath, moving further back and letting the shadows envelop me as the figure turned, as if they were going to close the door.

Good.

It would only make my job easier, it's better if people didn't hear him scream.

Quietly, I took my shirt off leaving myself in a vest and then wrapped it around my face so that my features were obscured.

I wasn't allowed to kill him, but that didn't mean anonymous torture wasn't part of the option.

Please vote and comment guys, honestly it is my only motivation to continue writing at this point 🥲
Ly all 💗