Chapter 8

The sun shone in fragments through the window as I took in my surroundings, the coffee shop, despite the rundown exterior was rather pretty on the inside; with fairy lights and plant pots hanging from the brick feature wall, creating a cosy atmosphere.

I looked around, scanning my surroundings, noting all the exits. This morning, as soon as Kane had left, I had worn my best clothes, which for a poor orphaned Olían child, would have been my worst clothes as a wealthy assassin. Either way, I somehow managed to pull off the simple worn down blue top and jeans.

Behind me, the bell on the shop door gave a small tinkling sound and I turned around to see a tall lean man, with green cat-like eyes and tousled dark brown hair that glistened softly in the morning light uy.

None other than Cullen Ledger.

That must mean Kane was nearby. I wondered how he would be feeling right now, seeing me here. I hoped the bastard was seething in discomfort in his hiding spot.

I suppressed a smirk, creasing my eyebrows and giving him my best doe-eyed expression; portraying the epitome of nervousness.

If there was one thing I had learnt from years of being a female assassin, it was that my femininity was an advantage.

So from now on I would be giving him just that. I needed him to not just like me, he needed trust and  confide in me. Maybe even fall in love with me.....

I let my eyes wander, quickly giving him a once over. Luckily for me, he was rather pretty, unluckily for him, I was not planning on letting him stay this way. I almost chuckled to myself.

He will pay for what he did.

Once the Zander captured him, I'd make sure of it.

He looked at me curiously, his eyes trailing over my face,"Hey, may I help you?"

Before I could reply, the woman who had led me into the cafe, burst back in, a mop and bucket in hand, giving Cullen and me a broad smile, "Good, I'm glad you've met, Cullen, this is Shanaya, the new staff I telling you about, Shanaya, this is Cullen, he has been working here for quite sometime and will be showing you the ropes.

I looked at her slightly shocked, "I-I got the job? Don't you want my details or my information or anything?"

The woman laughed lightly, "No, not at all! Now what would I need credentials for," She walked towards us, inclining for me to take the mop and bucket, "Look, it's a simple job, as long as you work hard and don't steal or cause other sorts of problems, you will be absolutely fine, you don't look the type anyways."

If only she knew.

I smiled at her, an expression of pure happiness plastered on my face, while I seethed on the inside, I had practiced saying my lies day and night, for her to not ask me anything but my name! Instead, I mustered up my brightest voice, taking the bucket and mop from her hand "Don't worry! I-I'll promise to do my absolute best!"

"Good. That's what I like to hear," she said giving me an affirming nod, "Cullen, I'm going to the shops to get some stuff, open up the shop for me will you. I'll be back soon."

"Of course." He said, giving her a gracious smile, "you know when you will be back?"

"Uhhhh, I'm not exactly sure, but soon!" She said again cheerily, opening the door and closing it gently behind her.

This was it, this was my chance.

My eyes darted around the cafe, as I stood awkwardly at the centre of the room, I bit my lip, "umm, where-wh-what should I do?

Cullen's gaze softened as he looked at me, "Start mopping up the shop from the door, and work your way down to the back, I'll be right here if you need anything, the shop doesn't open in 20 minutes so you have plenty of time."

With that, he took an apron off the hook, smiling as he silently handed me one, and went to sit behind the counter, laid back, phone in hand.

My insides turned in disgust, how did a person so cruel feign being so innocent and nice, it was sickening! More importantly, why was he pretending to work in this café?

I peered over the counter, watching him from where I stood, wondering how to make conversation when he looked up to find me staring at him.

My cheeks flushed red in embarrassment from being caught as I furiously bent my head down and started to mop the floors.

This was going to be a long day.

Thoughts?? Next chapter is going to be tense....