Chapter 1

"No!" I said standing up from my seat at the desk, "I will certainly not be spying for The Zander or Assassin's Keep."

"But why ever not," Demir asked from the other side of the desk, a glint of amusement in his eyes,"What, do you believe that this mission is too hard? Are you scared?"  

"No, I'm not scared. Why would I be scared? I'm an Assassin, people should be scared of me," I gritted my teeth this conversation was getting on my nerves, I'm pretty sure The Zander had plenty of other spies working for them, I still didn't understand why they'd want an assassin on this case.

"Then I don't seem to see a problem," Demir replied his tone as frustratingly calm as ever.
"Well, I don't want to do it anyways, and plus I have other missions to report to." I replied, making my way to the door in Demir's office. I didn't want to continue this conversation any longer and I knew that if I walked out now while I still could, Demir wouldn't pursue me further about this.

"Well, well Azura, since when have I known you to turn away a case....." Demir said his voice as taunting as ever.
Ignoring his comments, I continued walking towards the door, I was not going to let anyone sway me into this, especially not Demir. My hand reached for the knob and...

"Especially one that could guarantee you a position as head of Assassin's Keep." He continued.
I halted and swivelled around, my dark brown braid whacking the wooden door. "What!" I gawked at him, "You're retiring? But why-where will you go?"

"I'm getting old Azura, I'm tired and The Zander wants someone new and alert as head."
I scanned him steadily and suddenly the curly grey streaks forming at the roots of his afro, the thick creases and the folds where his dark brown skin had started to wrinkle became more apparent me.
"Soo....you would like me to become the new head?" I asked my voice straining to keep the conversation at a casual tone.

"Well not exactly...."

"What do you mean, not exactly?" what was Demir not telling me?
From behind me, footsteps sounded and the door opened with a slight click.

I turned, my braid swinging again, only to whack something else this time. Kane.

He looked down at me in annoyance, eyes narrowing as he caught the look of surprise on my face. His jaw clenched ever so slightly, as he picked a strand of my hair off his face from where I had accidentally whacked him and dropped it on the floor.

"Why is she here," he seethed, "From what I was told, this was to be a private meeting."

"Things change Kane, please, take a seat." giving him a polite smile, Demir motioned his hand to one of the velvet seats in front of his desk, then motioned to the one I had been sitting on before, "You too Azura."

Smirking at Kane first, I strutted towards my seat and sat down on the chair, crossing one of my legs over the other, before inclining my head to look expectantly at Kane. He looked at me, eyes, practically shooting daggers into mine, before striding towards the chair Demir was still pointing to and sitting down.

"So why is he here?" I said, my voice cool yet demanding. Inside my heart was beating erratically in my chest, I didn't know why Kane was here but I certainly didn't want him getting his hands on this case. My case. I gave him a quick side long glance to see his reaction to all of this, but he didn't utter a word, his face was absolutely void of any expression. Great.

Slowly, Demir clasped his hands together and looked pointedly at the two of us, "Only a week ago the Zander received information on a person named Cullen Ledger who is believed to be operating a large part of the rebellion. The person who sent this information is unknown which is why the officials believe it may be a trap. This is why, The Zander has requested for two of their assassins to replace the spies that would have otherwise been on this case, for as talented as our spies may be, they lack the specific skill set needed for walking out of traps unscathed or if need be; killing. Also, our spies are too young in their careers or too old and not agile enough to be given such a job.