Chapter 31

I place her in the bookcase. I line up the red hair, that is longer than the doll itself, with the stacked books next to her. In the pale world I hadn't cared about her. She had no value to me; she was an object that would help me give Allie a slightly less painful death. But after seeing the memories it felt like she had been a part of my life too.

I'll keep her as a reminder of Laura. I know that a day will come when the doll means nothing to me, when I no longer have the inner peace that Laura shares. Yet, I can feel my emotions, they're stronger and easily take over unless I focus on Laura's.

My clothes have already dried, but I have no desire to accompany Cerberus to the so-called theatre. I had accepted despite my better judgement. He wouldn't invite another Guardian's soul wanderer unless there was a real good reason behind it. He had told me he had questions. I'm not sure what kind of answers he'd want out of me, specially from someone who recently finished their apprenticeship. I hadn't reaped my first soul yet, not one that was my contract. The souls on the mountain didn't count, that was Clover's contracts, and I had still been his apprentice.

I had accepted and therefore had no other choice but to show up. Cerberus might not have been a god, and not as powerful as I thought he was, but I'd be foolish if I didn't keep my word.

I knock on the white door I've created. Once I've opened it, I step into the whirling darkness. On the other side lays the familiar corridor I've walked many times with Clover. I catch the gate stone in my hand and continue down the hall until I reach Wolf.

"Blomst?" He asks automatically.

I shake my head. "Cerberus' waiting hall."

"You're going to... Cerberus?" Wolf asks. "Unusual, unusual."

"Why unusual?"

"Soul wanderers usually keep to their own guardians, except the older ones and a few exceptions of the younger. You're still a bit too young for that exception though."

Like Sun. She seemed familiar with both Blomst and First even though she is Saturn's soul wanderer.

"Something came up," I say.

Wolf remains in his place for a brief moment before he takes a step back and points a bony finger at the gate.

"I am just the gate keeper, not nearly as important as the guardians and..." He sighs. "What I am trying to say is that you mind your own business, of course, but be careful."

There are traces of worry in his voice. I force a small smile. Before I can reach the gate Wolf takes two steps forward and blocks my path.

"I... I have helped you before. With... the writing. So, I shall give you a warning. The guardians can be possessive," he carefully looks around, "and lately they've had quite a lot to deal with, which has made them... irritable."

I could go back to my room, and if Cerberus asked why I didn't show up I could have blamed it on Wolf's warning. But that could put Wolf in trouble with the guardians and that is the last thing I want.

"Thank you for the warning, but Cerberus asked me to visit his office. As much as I'd like to just go back, I don't think I have a choice in the matter."

Wolf takes a few steps back. "I understand, I understand. In the future, it would be best if you're careful what guardians you... uhm, spend time with. But if it's important..."

He smiles, it's not as strong as the previous times I've felt it.

"Thank you, Wolf."

I knock and the hatch opens up and pushes out a white paper with the number seven written on it.