Chapter 27 - (part 2)

Sun leads us deeper into the city. Most buildings in these parts are taller than the others, they tower over us like giants. The stained-glass windows are depicted with what's likely legends and myths. In multiple of them there are humanoid shapes – they're dressed in capes and veils covering their faces. Most are portraying the seven guardians.

One of the stained-glass windows catch my attention the most. A sleeping human on an altar. His long white hair is tied around his face and the naked body. It's so eye-catching that I stop in the middle of the street. A slight nudge on my shoulder from Nine makes me move again. The image of the pale, naked man interwoven in his own hair refuses to leave my thoughts.

"Some changes were needed." Sun doesn't sound as anxious anymore, her hands are clasped together resting on her stomach. "I'll have to show you the Hall of Memories later."

"Aren't we on our way there now?"

Sun leads us into a narrower street. "No, we're heading towards the Guardians' Citadel."

I had wondered why Nine was following us, I should have realized I was the one not fitting in.

"And what will we do there?"

"You will not do anything," she says. "After your little mishap in the library you shall stand quietly and not even lift a finger. Have I made myself clear?"

"Crystal clear."

We continue through a broader street that leads us to a white fortress with rounded walls. It is surrounded by the turquoise water, and a staircase made of glass ascends to the large gate of white stone. Two ocean blue jewels sit on each side of the entrance, once we climb the stairs they light up by our presence. It only takes a few seconds until the gate opens up. I had imagined Gargoyles on the other side like at the entrance of the city, but in front of us is Blomst.

She has an impatient expression, with slight annoyance hiding behind her eyes. Considering what she's wearing I doubt she had plans to be here at this moment. The brown hair that's usually in two buns now lays over her shoulder, it's also adorned with flowers. She's dressed in a beautiful purple dress that has a slit on one side of her leg. Once she's done staring me down, she moves her gaze along to Nine behind us.

"I see you brought an extra one," she says.

"Orchid has an errand in Arkaros, and I was to show her around. Had I known you'd call for me I'd bring her another day. But Orchid won't move a finger while we speak, will you?" Sun says.

"I won't move a millimeter."

Blomst sighs and makes a hand gesture. "Follow me."

The large gate closes behind us as we follow her inside. The hall is gigantic, and the floor is made of glass, it's divided into squares that separates each box with a thin layer of white stone. Underneath the turquoise water is visible, it's mostly still with its occasional calm wave. The walls are white and large pillars stand on each side of the room and in the middle is another staircase. It leads to the second floor that is made of the same white material as the walls.

Blomst leads us up the stairs, the purple dress drags against the floor and Sun, who's first in line, keeps her distance to not accidentally step on it.

The fortress feels gigantic and it's hard to know how far we've gone. Blomst leads us up multiple stairs to what is the sixth or seventh floor. The walls rarely have any windows and most of them is painted in the same depictions from the stained-glasses I had seen in Arkaros' streets.

Most are of the seven guardians, and the nude human is depicted in some of the murals. His hair is twisted around his body, always hiding his eyes. In some of them the man is standing up reaching out a pale hand. In the others he's sitting down. In each depiction I see, the hair seems more and more like chains. They're always twisted around his wrists and thighs. It looks uncomfortable, like he cannot move exactly the way he'd like.