Chapter 21 - (part 2)

It took an hour or so to become myself again when we're no longer shining nor gleaming. There are only a few creatures left on the pathway, leaving only tiny, moving lights.

The Oak is smaller than the Eleven, around the world hangs a thick mist, too thick to see through. I asked Clover what would happen if you went through it, he told me that I'd just end up on the other side of the world.

Clover had taken me to the second highest place in the Oak. From here it feels like I can touch the stars above us. There's no building on this platform, only a flat terrace that circulates the tallest tree's crown. There's a fence made of branches around the platform.

The only thing taller than this tree is this world's well. It doesn't look like the one in the Eleven. This well is built into a gigantic, open tree. A large part of the tree's front is missing, and the blue liquid is coming out of the bark and slowly floats down to the depth of the tree. The doors are built into the bark, and above each one of them hangs a bowl overflowing with blue, gleaming liquid. The trees foundation is too large and tall for any creature or soul wanderer to reach, nor is there any stairs like the one in the Eleven.

"What do you think?" Clover asks.

"It looks different from the Eleven."

"Is that a good thing?"

I smile. "Very. It's beautiful, in a calming way. Not in the in-your-face-kind-of-way that the Eleven is."

"Ah, I see what you mean," he laughs.

I'm thankful that he showed me this when I needed it the most. Thankful that he introduced me to Mort and Moria. I see the creatures in an entirely different way now, they're not as foreign and scary as I first thought.

"I needed this," he says.

I had planned on saying something similar.

"Did you?" I ask and lay my hands above the fence while I focus on the strange well on the other side of the world.

"I've been stressed. I needed a night where I could just relax."

"I needed this too," I admit.

He leans against the fence. "I noticed."

"And how did you notice that?" I ask, a bit too curious for my own good.

"You were happy, for real this time. No game. No mask."

I swallow and try not to show that it caught me off guard.

"That was probably Frigg you saw," I say and laugh, I'm somehow able to make it sound natural.

He also laughs and straightens his back when he continues to focus on the view in front of us. "Maybe it was."

I'm not sure why, but this conversation leaves a depth in my stomach that I can't say I like.

"By the way, I have a question, one that I've thought of for a while," I say when the feeling only grows deeper. "When we were in the hall of souls you wanted to leave when we met First and Nine. I've heard some things of First and nothing good. Is everything true?"

"There's a lot of rumors about First," he sighs, "and most of it is true. First is one of the worst and most arrogant of the guardians. I knew he wouldn't just let us leave the hall without gaining something. I'm sure he gets gratification out of his own power play."

"Isn't that how all Guardians are?"

"To a certain degree, maybe. Most guardians know they're powerful. The only power play they play is between themselves. They know we're aware of their power. However, First likes to remind us about the difference between guardians and soul wanderer. Not that I see a point with it, we're well aware of it without his arrogant and fear mongering reminders."

"And Nine?" I ask.

"Nine is... Nine." He sighs at the sight of my confused expression. "Most I know find him unsettling. It's said he never uses the Stormcoin. I know us older soul wanderers can seem apathic towards reaping, but we all use Stormcoins. I'm not sure there's any truth to the rumors, but he is still unsettling to be around."

I look at the well again. I cannot stop thinking of what Rampion had mentioned, and what did Clover think First would ask us? Was he scared that I'd tell him we were speaking of the well and that Clover is clearly hiding something? I haven't said it out loud yet, all I had told him was that Artemis noticed something was wrong.

"It's getting late. Shall I make up a door for you?" He asks.

"Clover," I begin with my gaze focused on the well, "what did you think First would ask us if we didn't leave the hall?"

He lets out a loud scoff that sounds more like a cough. "What are you talking about?"

"You wanted to leave the hall quickly. You were scared I'd say something, what exactly were you scared of?"

He has lowered his eyebrows, while is body posture seems all too stiff.

"It doesn't matter, the thing with First is–"

"Rampion told me that he saw you at the well," I cut him off.

Clover recoils and gulps. I know I've gone too far. It's not like I can take it back now.

"Orchid," Clover whimpers. It sounds like a fragile warning.

But I cannot back down now.

"Why were you at the well? Rampion saw something in your face, you avoid telling Artemis anything and you're scared of what I'll tell a guardian. What are you hiding?"

"I..." He sucks in the night air through his lips and the fear in his face disappears. "I hide nothing."

We both know that the lie is easily seen through.

"Do you believe I'll actually buy that?"

By now, I know that I've gone too far. That I'm asking for things that I'm not so sure I deserve to know.

"I think it's best you go home now."

He picks up the gate stone from his pocket and the black door is created in front of us.

"Seriously?" I ask.

Clover doesn't look angry anymore, his face has become impersonal and empty. It reminds me how it had looked when I saw him the first time on the country road between forest in Sweden. He's playing his game, with his mask fully on. Like I'm some sort of contract he's reaping.

"It's time for you to go home," he repeats.

"Clover," I say in a softer tone than before. I know what this will lead to.

He opens the door without knocking and take a few steps back. "Can you please leave, Orchid? I have things to do."

I doubt there's any truth in that. I should never have said anything.

"Okay," I say and take a long look at him before I continue, "we can talk about this tomorrow."

He sighs. "There's nothing to talk about."

I'm a hypocrite. Every time Clover brought up my troubles, I shut him out. But when Clover is on that side, I push myself too close and try to force him to give me answers he has no desire to hand over. But I know he'll avoid me if I don't solve this. He's the only person I have in this world. I don't want to be alone.

"Orchid. Go," he says when I don't move.

I take a last look at him before I do what he asks and step through the black door to the Eleven.