Chapter 28 -(part 2)

Cerberus leads me further into the forest, and on the way towards his favorite place, I see multiple resting places – as Cerberus called them. One of them are filled with white orchids, it looks like one of the murals from the corridor. I think of my dad and his funeral. I want to stay here, but I don't dare to say anything. We don't talk a lot, just in the beginning. Cerberus mentions that he'd like to show me one of his favorite places. When we reach it, I understand why. It's bigger than the other resting places and is overgrown in greenery and flowers. I've never seen them before, but they look real, like they could have belonged in the living world.

We follow the path next to a short stone wall until we reach a wooden gazebo surrounded by greenery and purple flowers. Inside two people are seated, the woman has her back towards us while the man looks up at us as we approach them.

He looks East Asian. The wild hair hangs down one side of his face, almost hiding his eye. The color of his hair is divided into two parts at the hairline. One side is black while the other snow white. When he approaches us, I notice that his eyes are two different colors, one black and the other light grey, almost white. At his forehead, a black and white sun is depicted, almost fully hidden by the black side of his hair. It's another guardian, one I've never seen before. His eyes slightly widen as our gazes meet.

The woman looks at us and I have to stop myself from jerking back. I'm not met by two eyes, but three. The third eye sits upon her forehead, the same area where the male guardian has the mark of the two-colored sun. This eye however is no tattoo, mark nor jewelry – it's a real eye. Her two eyes below are brown, while the third's iris is ivory white, the pupil is of a misty black color. All three of them blink.

The other guardian is dressed in an elegant black and white suit with flower motives. The smile on his lips isn't as kind-hearted as the one Cerberus often has, but neither is it the arrogant one First gave me.

"Cerberus," the guardian greets him; he studies my face a few seconds before he continues, "who is your friend?"

"Orchid," Cerberus answers.

"One of Blomst's soul wanderer?"

The man scrunches his face, like Cerberus had said something taboo. Yet, I remember how Blomst had acted when she realized I had spoken with Cerberus, and how I had seen First and Nine in the Hall of Souls. Maybe it was taboo to spend time with a soul wanderer that worked under another guardian – unless there was a good reason behind it. An uncomfortable feeling creeps forward, one I neither try to show or feel.

"She came here with Sun and Nine. Blomst placed her in the garden until the meeting is over."

I try to not think of how Cerberus phrased it. It makes me feel like a child – and in worst case a doll that the guardians can place wherever they want.

"I see, I see," he says with a smile and extends his hand. "Nice to meet you, Orchid. I'm Vrana."

I carefully offer him my hand. I feel the tickling electricity over every millimeter his skin touches mine. When he pulls back his arm, it's like a layer of something remains.

"What are you doing in Arkaros?" He doesn't avert his gaze as he stares me down. "I don't think I've seen you here before."

"I'm here for the Hall of Memories."

He blinks a few times, and then smiles again. This time it's bigger than the one earlier. It makes me feel a bit uneasy.

"Oh, that's right. I did hear that Cerberus had suggested Health and Sickness for one of Blomst's soul wanderers," he turns to Cerberus, "she was all but pleased with that behavior, old friend."