dead pigeon reflexes

*Lia*

Kevin and I dropped back a bit behind Mick, Lance and Esteban.

I enjoyed the sun on my face while Kevin nudged me a little more gently with his shoulder. I looked over at him with a smile.

I liked the Dane. Because pretty much everything he was interested in was motorsports. With whom he talked about it was relatively unimportant to him. He wasn't interested in what I looked like or who I was. If I knew something about cars, that was quite enough for him.

"What's your car like?" he asked, and I saw that mischievous smile cross his lips.

"You really think I'm going to give anything away about our car now?", I nudged him back with my shoulder.

"Come on, I'm your best friend."

"Are you?", I raised an eyebrow.

"Sure. Who else would it be?"

"Ass.", I hissed, he grinned even wider.

"So?"

"I'll tell you about mine if you tell me about yours."

"I hate that you always have to negotiate."

"Do you think I would have gotten this far if I wasn't the queen of negotiating?"

"Well, it can't be the charm," he snorted.

"Hey! Rude!", I laughed and wanted to hit at him, but he ducked away.

"Fucking Formula 1 drivers and their good reflexes," I growled with a laugh.

"Just because you have the reflexes of a pigeon that got run over three days ago?" he returned and, clasping his hands behind his back, nudged me as we walked.

"Hey!", I complained, my voice going much higher than I had planned.

Kevin finally couldn't get himself together, while I was still trying to give him the evil eye. Completely pointless. I liked him way too much to really be mad at him.

"Shit, I really missed you.", he wrapped his arm around my neck and pulled me to him.

"Ass.", I hissed again, but absolutely couldn't help laughing.

Kevin was like my safe place. Ever since we had first met. Because he was damn good at making me laugh. Whether I wanted that or not. And even though we were always annoying each other, neither of us would let anyone talk bad about the other.

Kevin had a mechanic fired because he had talked bad about me behind my back. He had sent a clear signal to the team. I only found out about it a few days later, but I was infinitely grateful to him.

It was no different with me, though. I had always defended him to the hilt and had replaced our bodywork engineer because he had thought Kevin was a bad driver.

We could rely on each other and I had enjoyed working with him. But I was just as happy for him when he told me he was going back to Formula 1. Sure, I would have liked to keep him on my team, but he had been so happy, there was no way I couldn't have been happy for him.

"But I'm your favorite ass. Don't forget that," he teased.

"I've seen better asses than yours," I returned, chuckling.

"Name one or your argument is moot.".

"Big word.", I laughed, then followed it up with "Your wife's.".

"Damn, that was a good one."

"Case closed. I won.", I spun out of his arm and stuck my tongue out at him.