7 | There Goes Nothing |

A woodpecker started carving a branch above us and flew away. A couple of fishes popped their heads out of the water, creating ruffles on the river's gray surface as they stared our way. Gio smiled at them, pulled something that looked like stale bread out of thin air and threw a piece at the fish.

I crossed my legs while the fish swam to eat the crumbs. Like a dog trainer, Gio held a big piece up high from where he sat and caught the fish's attention. Their heads patiently floated above the surface while their flipping tails created tiny waves.

Gio threw the bread up high, and then with a snap of his fingers, it started raining crumbs! Many fish jumped out of the water—big and small—and caught the tiny pieces mid-air. Gio cheered the fish as they fell back and splashed into the water.

I swallowed my chuckle and fought the urge to clap along. When Gio caught me looking, I frowned and focused on peeling the loose bandage on my chest. The bruise wasn't big, but it was deep purple with a small cut in the center of it.

"I can't cure wounds. I can't depict them or hurt someone either, and I can't meddle with love." Gio spoke softly. "But I can summon pretty much anything except for living things."

I eyed his worn-out tunic. "Why do you wear old clothes then?"

"Why would I sit around in a tux?" He started buzzing suddenly, his eyes glowed with excitement. "Would you marry me if I proposed to you in a tux?"

I shook my head and bit my inner cheek, not to giggle. "How long have you been here?"

He pulled and broke the grass ring around his finger. "Centuries. I stopped counting after a couple of them."

"But you look my age!" I cried in disbelief.

"Perks of being a djinn," he grinned.

"Is my mom a djinn too? She doesn't get old either."

Gio shook his head. "She is human."

"How does she—"

"I can't discuss your mom's contract with you, Alaia."

I nodded and chewed my lips. It seemed like running away wasn't an option, and talking wasn't going to get us anywhere either. "You said you can't hurt anyone. Do you realize that you'd be hurting me if you kept me here forever, Gio?"

His jaw dropped open, and the buzzing intensified. His eyes started wandering around desperately as if the birds or the fish could help him find an answer. But the help he sought didn't come.

"I—I would never..." he started but stopped when he saw me nodding.

That was all I could do, nod, as tears filled my eyes. Gio and I were two different creatures, strangers, who understood but couldn't help each other. This was all we were ever going to be, strangers forever.

"I'll help you," said Gio, and I raised my gaze to his now cloudy silver eyes. "I'll help you put your pieces back together."

"Really?" I sniffled to keep the tears from spilling as a smile spread over my face.

He nodded, wiping a couple of his tears. "I need your word for something first. I have to see if I can trust you."

"Of course!" My smile got wider.

Gio tucked a hand into his pocket and took the scroll out again. After a moment of hesitation, he held it out to me. "Promise me you'll hold onto this and think about it."

The forest held its breath along with me as I glided my gaze from the contract to Gio's silver eyes. Who knew one could keep an entire solar system in their irises, with orbiting planets, shooting stars, and multiple suns?

I shook my head and took the scroll out of his hands. The paper purred and tickled my palm. "This is not a trick, right?"

"I promise, if you reject me, I won't hold it against you. I'd never hurt you, Alaia. Just give me a chance to prove I have what it takes and look after the scroll."

"Yeah, okay." I sighed with relief as I searched for a decent place to stuff the contract in my dress.

With a giggle, Gio leaned forward and glided a finger along my tummy. I let out a shaky gasp while my eyes tracked the red zipper tailing after his finger along the fabric.

"There," he whispered softly. "This will keep it safe."

Heat rose from my neck, burnt my ears, and covered my entire face. I must have been as red as my dress right now. "Thanks," was all I could say as I carefully placed the contract into my new pocket. The paper buzzed a few times on my lap, then settled peacefully.

Gio jumped up and held out a hand. I took his help to stand, and we stared at each other briefly as his pointy ears perked up.

"Ready to go, wifey?" he asked, raising an eyebrow.

I rolled my eyes and pulled my hand back.

"You can't blame me for trying." He giggled and sneaked his hand back into mine as we neared the river's edge.

The water's gray surface was as still as a mirror. The air around Gio charged with electric.

There goes nothing.

"One, two, three," we counted together and then jumped!