134: Calls My Bluff

Start from the beginning

Apparently she'd thought of the same thing Qrow had. "Come on, I can't be the only one who's wondering if you're not just looking to purge us all of our powers."

"I thought you wanted that," Wally said, before Shine could warn him to be more tactful.

Raven's gaze hardened. "Not if it's just going to be ripped out of me."

"Who said anything about that?" Shine said. "I think you're confusing us with Cinder, here."

"Oh, and let's not forget she's here." Raven sounded like she was getting upset again. "If that arm of hers grows back, we're all next. I've felt that before, unlike you." With a look at Winter.

Then back at Shine. "But even Qrow has magic, doesn't he? Do you just see us all as tainted?"

"Raven," Shine said, "the only one who is saying that is you."

Silence.

"Yeah, I don't really think that way," Wally added after a pause. 

"But you've said you can sense our magic," Raven said. "Just like Ozpin's."

"I don't think less of you for that," Shine said.

"That implies that you could," Winter said, noticing the wording was a little odd here.

"I made it quite clear I thought those powers were bad for you," Shine said. "Before, you didn't object to that idea. Why is now any different?"

"Right now, we need them," Qrow said. "That's the problem. You seem set on getting rid of them."

Wally and Shine exchanged a look.

"I want you all to try to do something," Shine asked, in such a steady, calm tone that it was almost like she was trying to talk them off a ledge. "Just very slowly, ask yourselves why exactly the thought of that is bothering you so much."

A pause again.

"Because..." Winter began, then stopped.

"The Vault to Atlas is gone," Shine said, slowly still. "Do you even need those powers?"

"I...but..." Winter wondered exactly at what point she'd become so intent on this. Why? "They are useful."

"They also draw Salem," Shine said. "They are a setback just as much as they are useful. You don't need them. You're stronger without them, in fact, really."

"That's not true," Raven said.

"Factoring in the amount of people who are after us for them, I think it's a fair point," Shine said. "As for you, Raven, once we put that Sword away, do you really need the power anymore?"

"I..." Raven also paused.

"And didn't you not like being a target?" Shine said.

"Well..." Raven hesitated. "But still...without them..."

"You'd be a lot happier," Wally said. "Salem wouldn't care that much. I mean, maybe she would, a little, but Cinder at least wouldn't have any reason to follow you around."

"What exactly are you two saying?" Qrow wanted to know.

"Are you going to yell at us again?" Shine asked, with a note of real concern.

Qrow and Raven both looked down.

"Besides, isn't it clear?" Shine shrugged. "At first I thought you didn't want the magic anymore. Now it sounds as if you are worried about losing it."

"Losing it too soon, yes," Winter said.

"What about at all?" Shine asked.

Winter hadn't even thought about it.