Part 10: On the road

As Orin trudged through the muck of the road, the inquisitor Philippe prattled on, asking all sorts of questions about Sir Orin and his exploits. Sir Orin could not help but feel somewhat annoyed by the cavalier attitude of the administrator. For being concerned about wolves or other threats on the road, he certainly was not acting like it. If there were any real danger, of course, Meara would have most likely noticed it before they came up on anything dangerous. Even so, it was somewhat alarming to see just how carefree they all were, traveling through what was otherwise considered to be Badlands.

The road ran parallel to the forest. Eventually, however, the path dipped, trailing right and at an angle, carving into the wooded area between two large hillsides. Besides the road itself, the woods progressed uninterrupted on both shoulders, rolling up the face of the hills with thick underbrush and hedgerows lining the path. As they made it closer to the swamp, the woods began to look less healthy. Between the chill in the air and the uncertainty amongst the caravan, everyone had grown restless and quiet. Even the oxen who pulled the carts shivered and rolled their eyes about nervously.

A long sorrowful howl echoed off the hillsides some distance off to the right. As if in response, another two, and then a third to the left. Those were much, much closer. Sir Orin could not miss how agitated Meara appeared as she jumped off the back of the wagon, crossbow in hand. The others as well, had weapons readied. Even Ruth and her caravan drivers armed themselves with what they had.

"They're close, but they're not hunting us," Meara said carefully.

Andre hummed, "and how would you know? That sounds a lot like hunting calls to me."

"We should keep moving," Orin said, Not liking their positioning at all.

"How far until we reach the tower?" the inquisitor asked from his horse.

"Another few miles," Orin said, "at which point we will need to dismount and enter the swamp proper."

Lucky notched an arrow as he took a position near Meara and Sir Orin, "So much for safety in numbers," he said under his breath as they marched along, eyeing the tree line. He asked the hooded girl so that only she and Orin could hear, "You sure they're not hunting us, Red?"

"Not yet. They wouldn't be calling like that if they were on top of us. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if they are trying to steer us into an ambush up ahead."

"They're that intelligent, you think?"

"Never underestimate a wolf. Even the natural ones. They are smarter than you think, and these ones are definitely not natural."

"Werewolves?" Lucky asked, sounding as tense as his bowstring.

Meara scented the air, taking it deep whiff. She paused a moment with a look of concern. Meara looked up at Orin and met his eyes. "Maybe? I can't tell for sure, not from here. But if I—

"No," Orin said flatly. He knew that look. She wanted to go out there preemptively and try to stop them. "We're better off staying here with the others."

"But Orin—

"I said no. Besides, we do not know how many are out there."

"All the more reason than to let me scout ahead." Meara pressed.

"Even if they are werewolves, what are they doing out here?" Lucky asked.

"The witch had other mutants in her layer," Jack pointed out, "Perhaps they are in league with her?"

"Ether way, we need to know. We are scouts, after all. A lot of good we do staying around here."

Sir Orin bit his lower lip in frustration. He knew she was right. However, he was reluctant to send her out there by herself. Not with the circumstances the way they were. He looked over their company, several of the waggoneers looked nervous, Andre and his troops looked to be itching for a fight, and the inquisitor on his hours glowered at the surrounding woods with contempt.

"Alright," Orin finally said, "but stay close, and don't do anything that will spook the guards or the Inquisitor. The Alchemist may be familiar with your abilities, but they are not."

With a single nod, Meara slipped off the road and into the bushes, as silent as a church mouse. None of Andre's men seemed to notice that the hooded girl had left them.

After a moment, Lucky asked under his breath, "Do you want me to go with her?"

Waying his options, Orin nodded, "go. But stay safe."

"Always do," Lucky said, clasping his shoulder before falling back to the end of the wagon train and slipping into the woods after Meara.