ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 15 - ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀ'ꜱ ᴄᴀɴ ʙᴇ ᴋɪɴᴅ

𝐒𝐮𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝟖𝐭𝐡 𝐉𝐮𝐥𝐲, 𝟏𝟗𝟕𝟑
└── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──┘

Identical; it was a very common word amongst the family - heard at every family reunion or dinner nights. The Noble and Most Ancient House of Black was one of the oldest, largest, and wealthiest pure-blooded wizarding families in Britain, so of course they would do anything to keep their blood pure.

They bred through the family, marrying their second cousins, or sometimes, even their firsts. They kept the blood thick - Black Genes. Faint grey eyes; pale skin with just the faintest freckles; black unruly curly hair - they were all the same.

Regulus was similar to Sirius in many ways, most would say they were identical. Sirius was much taller than Regulus, even with his usual slouched posture, he would constantly beat him in height; Their hair was almost always the same growing up, the pitch black hair with the perfect curls; And they usually grew up wearing the same things and finding interest in the same things. But, Sirius hates the violin, whilst Regulus loves it, and Regulus hates the drums, whilst Sirius adores them.

They were identical in many things.

But there was one feature that the two boy's weren't so similar in - their eyes. Sirius had the common grey eyes, like the rest of their aunties and uncles. But, Regulus' eyes, they were green.

Regulus' green eyes had been the bane of his existence - he hated them. Truly loathe them. Why did Sirius get to have the perfect grey eyes? But Regulus, the boy who actually wishes to be a true Black, is cursed with the bright green eyes.

"Regulus! Come down here!" Walburga yelled from the parlour.

Regulus continued to stare at his reflection, leaning in closer as his nose touched the mirror. His green eyes stared back at him as he picked at his nails. Backing away, he realised that his mother had called for him. He quietly walked down the stairs.

His clean black shoes shined as he stepped into the parlour light. His mother watched as he came to a stop before her, waiting for her to speak.

She wore her best silk, fanciest shoes, and her hair was as formal and gorgeous as ever. Usually it was tied up into a small bun, but this morning it was held back into a bun by black ribbons, with tiny pearls appearing from underneath. Her wand was kept where it usually was; in her hand. And her familiar reading glasses were now nowhere to be seen, as it would usually sit atop her head.

"We are hosting a ball this evening, I expect Sirius to be on his best behaviour" She narrowed her eyes.

"What do you wish for me to do?" Regulus asked, his fingers itching to pick at his nails.

"Take care of your brother" Walburga raised her hand, Regulus held in a breath as she flattened his hair and lowered her eyes.

She left the room not long after, the boy released a breath as he shook his head, beginning to walk back up the stairs. The spiral staircase that stretched up to four floors was cruel, especially on mornings like this - with aches coursing through his legs from the night before.

His thoughts drifted around in his mind as he tried to focus on the book before him, it was useless - pointless - to be reading something so important whilst his mind raced like this.

Sirius was hiding in his own room, muttering to the mirror in his hand as he continuously peaked his head out from under the covers, checking to see if his mother had magically appeared in his room or not.

"Mother hosts these balls, we have them every summer" Sirius said to the mirror.

But it wasn't the mirror he was talking to, it was the person on the other side - James Potter.