forty

forty

Married. Marriage is such a weird thing. Luke finds it weird—in the most amazing way possible—that he can look at the man next to him and see his forever. His blue eyes stare at his husband's profile. His face is freshly shaved, his pastel blue hair is blowing in the low breeze from the Pacific Ocean to their left. He sits in a wooden chair laughing at a speech his cousin is giving, his smile is so wide and his Adam's apple bobs as he bellows out another laughter. 

Luke places his left hand over Michael's right hand, his wedding ring gleaming in the glowing light from the torches set up. The sand felt so nice under their feet—since the mature adults they are felt the need to take off their shoes after their vows. It was a perfect December night, the breeze just right, their family members satisfied.

Mike turned his head to look at Luke, both of them were so damn happy. Even with the paparazzi's only two hundred meters away, they still were radiating happiness. This has been the best day of their lives. 

Ashton took the mic from Michael's cousins hand. He had a smile on his mouth and a new hickey on his throat. "As most of you know, I'm Ashton. I was Luke's roommate and Michael's other TA for English 2006, which he did pass. So, go him!" Chuckles erupted along the small audience of only two dozen. "Just saying, when they got into their first fight, I made Luke go talk to Michael. I think I deserve a toast."

Glasses were surprisingly raised into the air for Ashton. Everyone's head swung back as the took another chug of their beverages. Getting drunk has never felt so good. 

"But, in all seriousness, I've watched these two go from studying science flashcards to making out, I've watched them go from making cupcakes to crying about a kitten they saw at the park. If this isn't true love, then I'm not sure what is.

"Luke, I'm sorry I yelled at you for so long, I was worried you'd hurt the punk rock kitten you sit next to today. I'm glad I watched you two grow up these last twelve months. I can't wait for the future."

The older blonde gladly flipped him off before taking another drink of the white wine in front of him. He pushed his chair closer to Michael as he leant his heavy head on his lover's shoulder. They listened to everyone speak so highly of them, so excited for their future.

"This is just the beginning," Michael whispered in his ear. 

Ashton pulled Calum to the side as he finished snapping a shot of the glorious couple laughing. The younger boy jumped in surprise. "Shit, don't scare me like that." He put a hand to his beating chest.

Ash laughed, "Can we, uh, talk?" He took a sip of the glass of iced water in his hand, he felt uncomfortable looking at the younger boy. 

"First, look at this cute photo I took of you." He flipped through the previews until he came across Ashton's speech. Ashton's tan face was lit up as he held the microphone close to his mouth, his green eyes shined in the golden hues of the sun setting. 

"Cal, this is really important." His face was grim as he looked up at Calum once more. 

The younger boy put down his camera as he tilted his head to the right. His eyebrows furrowed with worry as he placed a soothing hand on Ashton's shoulder. "What's wrong? Are you okay?"

Ashton's eyes started to brim with tears as he didn't realize how hard this actually was. He sucked in a breath and sniffled his nose. "Calum, I'm pregnant."

Medicine by The 1975 were played. Michael twirled Luke around by the hand, watching him spin before they attached again with laughter. Mike slowly danced him around in the sand, leaving kisses to his forehead, and his nose, then finally his lips. Their guests joined in around the second bridge. 

"And said I, I wanna marry you," Michael sung under his breath.

Luke looked up at him with the biggest smile gracing his lips. He doesn't remember every being this happy. "I love you so much. I can't believe this is happening."

"Neither can I," Michael laughed. 

"You know, I'm sorry that I don't remember when we danced to this at The 1975 concert so long ago. I can't believe here we are now," Luke spoke such endearing words as their eyes lit up like the Fourth of July.

Michael bit his lip at the embarrassing memories they've experienced the last four years. From tipsy concerts, to screaming arguments. From Luke stalking Mike home after class because he hated to see the musician cry, to reading his journals at night. From their first beach date to fucking in the car. "Who would've know after all this time, I'm still thinking about you."

THE END

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

(a/n) do not fret, my tiny sons. the sequel will be up tonight.