ten

ten

“Oh my God, Ashton, look at this!” Luke pointed to a dog outfit with reindeer ears attached. 

“You don’t have a dog,” he responded with a straight face. “I hate taking you to Target.”

Luke rolled his eyes, gripping the cart and rolling down the tiled floors once more, “This is my favorite place ever.”

“We came here for food and toilet paper.”

“But it’s Target! It has everything you never needed in every color!” Luke spoke with such happiness, Ashton was sure he was going to break into song in any moment.
Instead, he tripped over his feet and fell to his knees. 

The brunette laughed, grabbing the bright red cart and continued to walk towards the toilet paper. Luke pouted even though his roommate couldn’t see. He got back on his knees, wiping some dust off of his knees. 

He rounded the corner, finding Ash in a conversation with another person around his age. 

Luke walked up, intruding on their conversation. “Do you think we need twenty-four rolls of toilet paper? They’re on sale.”

Ash furrowed his eyebrows, “We are in our apartment for less five more months, no, I do not think we need twenty-four rolls of toilet paper.”

“Are you sure?” Luke asked, walking in-between Ashton and the tan, attractive male. 

“Er, Calum, this is Luke. Luke, this is Calum,” Ash introduced the two, scratching the back of his neck. 

Is Ashton embarrassed by me? Luke wondered. He quickly got distracted by the tattoos on the other boy’s arms. “Oo, what are those?” Luke stepped closer to Calum, pointing at a few shapes and designs. 

“Just kind of random things I got while half-drunk,” Cal laughed. 

Ash giggled and Luke looked up at his roommate. Ash get your game on, Luke smiled, taking a step back and looking between the two. “I’m gonna go buy twenty-four rolls of toilet paper and ramen noodles.”

“Luke, no more ramen noodles. That’s all you’ve eaten for six years!” Ashton called, but it was too late. Luke was already half way towards his pride and joy—ramen noodles in a cup. 

Ashton rolled his eyes, “Sorry about him, he’s very, um, distracted.”

The crinkles around his dark brown eyes crinkled when he laughed, “It’s okay, he seems like a cool guy.”

Ash looked down at his feet, Cal was carrying a basket filled with cheap beer. He ran a hand through his hair, not sure what to say. “I guess I’ll see you in class on Monday?”

Calum nodded, “Good luck finding the grown up breadstick.”

Ashton laughed loudly, covering his mouth to hide the school girl laugh. “Thanks, man, see you then.”

He started to walk away, his dark Converse clicking against the freshly polished floors. Cal put a arm on Ashton’s shoulder, “Wait, do you think you want to go out sometime?”

“I—I’m straight,” he whispered, a blush rising to his cheeks. 

“That’s okay, our roommates are f.ucking so I figure we’ll be seeing a lot of each other. We should probably be, I don’t know, friends.” Calum felt like a first grader asking the kid sitting across from him to be his best friend.

“Alright, here, give me your phone.”