thirty three

thirty three

Luke tossed and turned in his bed. He was thrashing around in the sheets because he simply could not get to bed. It was past a little past midnight on a Friday night (technically Saturday morning). He stared up at the spinning fan above his head. It was blowing papers around softly, the sound annoyed him.

Ashton cuddled closer into Calum's pillow. It smelled like him, even a week later. He really missed the younger boy more than he thought he was capable of. He doesn't know if he made the right decision. He knew Calum was going to be away a lot, and Ashton thought he'd be fine with that. 

But the nights are cold and lonely.

Luke doesn't like coming home to an empty house. He was used to visiting Michael at the studio or meeting him for a late lunch/early dinner. He didn't like opening the front door, the air conditioning wrapping around him like a hug but not an actual human. 

Ashton would come home a little later. They'd talk, but that's about it. They were as close as strangers, and that made Luke sad. They used to be best friends. The two would make dinner, one of their phones would be playing music softly in the background. They'd talk about their days, then head to their rooms. 

Calum followed Michael backstage. "That was so amazing. You got everyone dancing," he said.

"Thanks." Mike smiled, lifting his guitar up a bit as he rounded the corner. The dressings rooms smelled like smoke and rock and roll. 

Michael put his guitar in his open case before plopping his body on the couch. He stretched his feet out as Calum set himself up at the table in the corner with his laptop and computer. 

"I fucked up that one riff, how bad did it sound?"

Calum turned around in his chair, rolling his eyes. "No one noticed, if they did, they didn't care."

"The reverb was so strong, I couldn't hear myself at all."

Calum turned back in his chair, uploading the photos onto his computer. He watched the file slowly make its way onto his desktop. 

Luke stood up from his bed, pulling the sheets off the mattress and wrapping it around his shoulders. He opened the bedroom door, the wooden floors creaking below his bare feet. 

The house was dark as he made his way downstairs. He cautiously turned the corner into the kitchen just in case there was a murderer around the corner ready to kill him. He flicked on the over head kitchen light, making his way to the fridge. 

Ashton was half asleep when he heard noises from downstairs. Adrenaline ran through his body as he cowered closer to the sheets, listening to the clinking of glass and the movement of feet. 

The toaster dinged, then more movement filled the old house. "Fuck," the voice loudly whispered, "This is the worst day ever."

Luke looked at the burnt toast in his hand, pouting at it. He placed it on his plate, not wanting to waste a single piece of bread. He went back to the fridge, the blanket around his shoulder flowing with his body like a cape, or a dress. 

Ashton came down the stairs to see the blonde boy at the table smearing a massive load of butter onto the black piece of bread. "Hey," he said. 

Luke jumped. "Shit, don't scare me like that."

"You're the one setting our kitchen on fire at two in the morning," Ashton shot back. His voice was deep and husky. He pulled out the opposite chair from Luke, sitting down and running his hands through his hair. 

"You alright?" Luke had his mouth filled with food, but the distressed look on the older boy's face worried him. 

"I don't know." 

Calum and Michael cheered to a successful tour. The crew yelled "To Michael" before chugging down their drinks.

Mike let out a semi-awkward laugh, he didn't like the attention being on him. He drank his third drink of the night, his dizzy head rushing faster. He felt like he could go scale a skyscraper with this much energy. 

Calum wrapped his arm around Mike's shoulder, pressing a kiss to his cheek. "Can you believe this is actually happening?" He practically yelled over the loud music along with their ringing ears. 

Michael shook his head from left to right. "We're living the dream," he answered.

Luke made another piece of toast before sitting back down with Ashton. "I get what you're saying," the blonde boy said quietly, "It's hard when they're always away. But, it makes it so much better when they come home."

"I feel like he's off at war and I've just gotta hope he'll come back safe." Ashton sighed, reaching over Luke's plate and tearing off a piece of the less-burnt bread. 

Luke nodded. "They'll come back, we've just gotta let them live their dreams out first."

(a/n) maybe double update in a minute