The man who checked through my backpack came back as she finished her speech. She gave him a nod as he scooped up my belongings, placing my weapons inside my bag as he went.

"Thanks, Larry!" Gertie called after him as he carried what looked like all of our bags up the small hill to the house.

"You'll get them back," she assured me, drawing my attention back to her. "When you leave, you can check them over. Nothing should be missing, but if anything is, we'll compensate you. Alright?"

I was catching on to her. "So, you'll make a list of everything we have?"

"Absolutely."

"And I'm guessing you don't like liars either?"

Gertie gave me what looked like a real smile. "That's right." She held out her hand for me to shake. "My name's Gertrude – I still blame my great aunt for that one – but the people here have taken to calling me Gertie."

I took her hand reluctantly but she shook mine firmly despite our gloved grips. "Nice to meet you," I said. It felt almost absurd to be exchanging pleasantries under such circumstances, but I had a feeling it was another trick of hers to see my response.

Gertie released my hand and hung her rifle over her shoulder by its strap. "I hope it will be likewise. Ready to go to the barn?"

"I guess so."

With my response, she took one of her gloves off and used her fingers in her mouth to whistle. The sound carried across the yard and soon enough the people who had branched out before began to trickle back in. I tried to count them, but they seemed to make it a point to not move in a way that made it easy.

"So." Gertie tugged back on her glove. "Would you all rather be strip searched privately or together in a group?" She asked expectantly.

I had the feeling that, even if we managed to survive, we were in for a long night.

----

The barn turned out to be far nicer than I'd thought. It had heaters that connected to a generator. I tried to ask Gertie about it but all she did was give me a secretive smile. It was clear that they were utilizing the gas station across the street, but what she had managed to set up was nothing short of miraculous.

My group was huddled together in a stall, sitting on a pile of sleeping bags that lined the hard floor. The place smelled of hay but there were no signs of any animals.

"It was a dairy farm," one of our guards explained. There were ten of them.

After we'd been individually searched for bites, Gertie had excused herself to check on Jaquan. The guards that took her place seemed good-natured enough. They even made small talk with Ian, but I could tell that they meant business. So long as we were friendly, they would be too.

"How long had it been since there were cows here?" Ian asked.

The guard who sat by our stall door had introduced himself as "Big Al" though there was nothing all that big about him. In fact, he was exceptionally average. His only unique features were that he had a deep, baritone voice and a ready laugh. His jovial disposition was probably what made Gertie give him his job. He made the atmosphere far less tense than I was sure it should have been.

"They've been gone since before I got here. I know that." He sucked in his bottom lip as he took a moment to think. "I know Gertie had them for a few months after, you know, the big 'Z,' but I don't think they lasted long."

Ian sighed. "That's too bad."

"It is!" Big Al exclaimed. "What I wouldn't give for a slice of cheese... but speaking of food, someone should be bringing over yours soon. They probably just want to get it all into one bag."

"Our food?" Ian asked.

"Yeah, I mean if you brought any then they'll just put it into one of your bags for you guys. It might mean that you'll need to do some reorganizing when you go, but it's the easiest way to do it."

"Easiest way, huh? You guys get a lot of practice with this?"

Big Al let out a hearty laugh. "Well sure! We get all sorts of types coming through here. A bunch are good folks who just need a place to crash for the night or got some good stuff to trade."

Ian looked as skeptical as I felt. "And what about the bad types? Get any of those?"

"'Course we do, but Gertie moves 'em along."

Ray seemed highly entertained by that statement but the rest of us were still a bit apprehensive. Gertie's group had the manpower and the guns, but if Big Al was right and they were in a position to act as a kind of pit stop for travelers...

Gertie must have the place locked down with an iron fist.

With everything that I'd seen, it was hard to imagine how it was possible.

"I come bearing gifts!" Jaquan's voice rang out from what sounded like the front of the barn. Footsteps followed and soon enough he reached the stall's entrance, holding what looked like Misty's backpack. "Food's here."

"Prisha," I said her name quietly. "Can you?"

She knew what I meant. She took the bag from Jaquan and used her meticulous eye to go through it. I knew if anyone could catch a missing item of food, it would be her.

"How are you guys holding up? Can I get you anything? We'll bring some water soon, it's still boiling." Jaquan kept his tone chipper but he was clearly exhausted.

"We get water?" Jamie asked.

Big Al's eyes widened. "Of course you do! What kind of hosts would we be if we didn't at least give out water."

Jamie glared at the man a little. "You mean we aren't hostages?"

"Jamie," Misty hissed, putting a hand on his arm to shush him.

Big Al let out such a loud laugh that even Jaquan jumped. "Hostage? 'Course not! You can leave any time you want. This setup is just to make sure we're all safe. Can't be risking any fights breaking out, right kid?"

Misty whispered in Jamie's ear and gave him a nudge.

"Sure," Jamie answered sourly.

"We're fine," I cut in, wanting to assure more than just Jamie. "We'll be leaving first thing in the morning."

"Doubt that," Big Al said with a sad shake of his head. "It's snowing, might wanna hold back on your plans. You're welcome here for a bit. Sure Gertie won't mind Jaquan's saviors staying an extra night or two? Right Jaq?"

Jaquan seemed to roll his eyes a bit but smiled nonetheless. "Gertie said as long as they can supply themselves, she doesn't mind them staying through the storm."

I watched a sardonic smile spread across Ian's lips. "Guess that means if you're not going to hold us hostage, the weather will."

Big Al's booming laugh once again echoed throughout the barn as he failed to realize how utterly true Ian's words were.