It was difficult to observe the state of the world and not despair. We're doomed, both in the Magical and Muggle world, Harry thought.

On the first Monday of November, Professor Lupin taught them about bogmentors.

"Come here." Professor Lupin beckoned the class toward the end of the room, where there was an old wardrobe. As Professor Lupin went to stand next to it, the wardrobe gave a sudden wobble, banging off the wall. Harry exchanged glances with Tom.

"Today, we will be dealing with a modified version of boggarts that mimics a bogmentor. All of you know how to deal with regular boggarts, correct?" The class nodded, some more vigorously than others. As much as Harry hated to admit it, Professor Yates had taught them well.

"Wonderful." Professor Lupin clapped his hands together. "I've been asked by the Ministry to teach you this lesson. The modified boggarts do not act exactly like bogmentors, but crucially, both are resistant to the Boggart-Banishing Spell. Does anyone know what a bogmentor is?"

Septimus Weasley, a freckled redhead, responded, "A Bogmentor is a mix between a Dementor and Boggart, used to terrorize people into surrender."

"That is correct but only half of the information you need. It does not tell you how to defeat it. Any ideas?"

Harry tentatively raised his hand, and Professor Lupin nodded in his direction. "A Patronus Charm, sir?"

"Close, but not quite. It is in the same family of charms, however. Any other ideas?"

Tom raised his hand. "Could it be the Expelling Charm?"

Professor Lupin smiled, the corners of his eyes crinkling. "Five points to Slytherin. I didn't think anyone would get such an obscure charm, but I am glad to be proven wrong. Now repeat the incantation with me: Depello."

"Depello," the class echoed.

"Good," said Professor Lupin. "Very good. Take out your wands and practice with me until you can cast the spell perfectly three times in a row. Once you are finished, place your wand on your desk."

And so, the next few minutes of classes passed with the students practicing their incantations. Of course, Tom got his streak of three on his first three tries. It took Harry six tries. Not too shabby, he thought.

"Now, I will create a barrier so that everyone will face the boggart alone. When your name is called, come forward and wait for the modified boggart to appear. Cast the Expelling Charm and exit the barrier after it has been pushed back. If you need me, tap your wand to the barrier twice."

Harry held his snickers as many of the Gryffindors' faces paled. Not so brave now, eh? Personally, Harry was quite confident that he had already conquered his greatest fear. He stared into Mrs. Martha's empty eyes and came out unscathed each time.

Professor Lupin erected a glittering blue barrier on his side of the room and said quickly, "Mr. Prewett, forward!" Past the barrier, Harry could only see an empty room.

And so each student disappeared as they crossed the barrier and faced the modified boggart before walking back over.

All of the Gryffindors were called before the Slytherins. Names and names were called, but not his or Tom's. Finally, Tom's name was called, and Tom gracefully entered the barrier, his face so blank that Harry wasn't even sure Tom was alive. A minute later, Tom exited the barrier, his face even emptier.

Harry resolved to ask whether Tom was alright after class ended. Professor Lupin called, "Harry!"

Harry quickly walked over, swallowing his gulp in his throat. Oh great, I'm dead last.