Daddy's little girl, and daddy made a soldier out of me

A/N: Sunday. The aftermath of Thomas' betrayal and someone finally makes contact! Manon plots. Wattpad is messing with the layout. Fixing it makes it worse so I'll try tomorrow if it's really bad!

There is a lot of texting in this chapter. It's Sunday, not much to do in town, and people finally decided to talk!

I hope you enjoy this chapter, and please leave a comment if you do! It's fuel for the words

"Daddy made me fight
It wasn't always right
But he said,
'Girl it's your second amendment'
He always played it cool
But Daddy was no fool
And right before he died, he said 'Remember...'

With his gun
With his head held high
He told me not to cry
Oh, my Daddy said shoot

With his right hand on his rifle
He swore it on the bible
My Daddy said shoot
'Cause he held me in his arms
And he taught me to be strong
And he told me when he's gone,
'Here's what you do'

When trouble comes in town
And men like me come around
Oh, my Daddy said shoot
My Daddy said shoot"

Daddy Lessons - Beyoncé
********

Manon

The following day, there was no sound in the house when Manon came downstairs. Her friends were up and moving, making breakfast and coffee, yet they were knee-deep in silence. The clink of cutlery and setting down of full mugs reverberated around the room like a cymbal crash. The air felt so brittle Manon was afraid it would snap. If it didn't, someone else would, and they could move past this. She had nothing to say to set their minds at ease, and anything she did think of sounded too trite, too... empty. Nobody dared speak, not even a sarcastic comment from Dan as she fixed her and Jake's coffee and toast. Jessy gave her a consoling smile which Manon returned. She wondered what had been said after she'd stormed upstairs the night before and if they'd condemned or supported Thomas. He was nowhere to be seen, but his bedroom door was shut, and she could hear him moving around as she returned to her room.

The knowledge that Hannah had dumped him lay heavy in her mind as she let herself into her room and met Jake's curious gaze as he lounged in bed. His eyes lit up as she handed him his coffee and toast before settling beside him to consume her own. The atmosphere here couldn't have been more different. There was tension, but not the kind that made you want to break things or scream at someone. No, it was that same attractive magnetic force that had drawn her to him in the first place, only growing more potent the longer they spent in each other's presence. It was the closest thing to peace she'd ever known. She felt she had earned it and didn't plan to give it up for anyone or anything.