PROLOGUE

111 AC

Saenena Targaryen was the younger sister of Rhaenys Targaryen, young, kind and just. She did as she was told, even when she was betrothed to her cousin Ragaemar Targaryen.

Of course she knew him well, he was her cousin, however they had many differences. Ragaemar never paid attention to her, even at their wedding, the only time he looked at her was when they spoke their vows. There wasn't even a hint of affection in his cold violet eyes.

Saenena on the other hand, held many affections for her husband, always trying to strike up a conversation with him just so he would look at her. It never worked, he always brushed her off, like a speck of dust on his shoulder. Her heart slowly cracked every time, but she was a strong woman and was able to look on the bright side. At least he did not strike her, or force himself upon her even when she said no.

He would not go near her sexually ever since the night of their marriage. Once the marriage was consummated and she found out she was carrying a small child in her womb she was overjoyed.

That was until she walked into her husbands chambers, hoping to discuss names for their unborn child, she saw him lying with another woman, just another Lady married to some Lord of who knows where.

What she saw that day broke her heart, she knew he did not love her but it still hurt the same. To not feel wanted, to feel unloved.

She lost the babe the very next day, and that shattered her whole being.

All she wanted was someone to love, and to love her in return, she thought a child would give that to her.

For many years Saenena would try to lay with her husband, with the hopes that she would be able to have children of her own, like her good friend Aemma. Every time Ragaemar would turn her away and shut her out it made her more determined.

She would have her child, she needed her child, even if she were to only have one.

Saenena seemed to be full of luck when Ragaemar turned up drunk one night at her chambers, wishing to bed her, and so he did.

Saenena did not enjoy it, Ragaemar didn't appear to like it either. Both were just filling a hole that needed to be filled.

A moon had passed when Saenena began to notice changes in her body, she knew she was with child, and there was nothing else she could have wished for.

Many moons later princess Saenena began her labours, full of pain and agony. Screams of a mother determined to bring her child into the evil world, to protect them from everything that would dare harm them.

Eventually the screams died down, the room then filled with pained moans, and instructions from the maesters.

A cry could be heard now, tears were brought to Saenena's eyes as she weakly lifted her head to look at her pride and joy.

"A girl, Princess," the maester spoke as he handed the babe to her mother.

Saenena took in the little girl's every feature, from her father's nose to her mother's lips. That was all she ever wanted, a family of her own.

A pained smile danced along her lips, knowing she didn't have a lot of time left to spend with her daughter, she pressed a soft kiss to the babe's head, a tear slid down her cheek.

"Beautiful," Saenena whispered, cradling her child in her arms until eventually the babe's cries could be heard throughout the room as the life began to slip from her mother's eyes.

The babe was taken away from her lifeless mother, arms reaching out to grab her. Grand Maester Kas cradled the babe in his arms as the other maesters checked the woman's heartbeat, looking up one of them shook his head, signalling the death of Princess Saenena Targaryen.

Grand Maester Kas looked at the girl screaming in his arms, "had the Princess decided a name?" He spoke softly and looked up at the Princess' handmaiden who stood solemnly in the corner with her head down.

"She spoke of naming her Visenya, Grand maester," the man nodded, silently placing young Visenya in her cradle, where a relatively large dragon egg rest, the girl snuggling next to it, having calmed down now.

"Come, we must inform the Prince Ragaemar of his wife's passing," the maester spoke up, the others nodding and following him out, leaving the newborn to look around at her surroundings.

The girl let out a blubber as she felt a tickle on her cheek, that felt a lot like a soft kiss. Visenya reached her arms out, as if reaching for her mother, like she was there with her, in spirit.

On the 14th day of the second moon in the year 111 AC one life was lost so another could thrive. On this day a mother died so her child could live, and her spirit would guide her from that day until the end. For all eternity.