CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

Start from the beginning

"Maybe it was the girl on the motorcycle," Scott suggested, optimistic, turning to Isaac. "The one who saved you."

"No," Isaac shot down, shaking his head. "She wasn't like us, and whoever was in the vault with Boyd was."

"What if that's how Erica died. They, like, put them against each other during the full moons and see which one survives. It's like werewolf thunder dome."

Haven dissociated for a bit there, wondering how in less than a year, their friends found themselves in positions where they had to brain storm how one of their classmates died, and how it was within the realm of possibility that they experienced such a dystopian demise of having to fight for survival. A world that was once full of Haven's crush on Scott, watching them ride the lacrosse bench at every single game, and practically living for weekend movie marathons with the boys seemed so far away. Such like another life.

Isaac rubbed his head with his hand, trying to also wrap his own mind around it all.

"Then we get them out tonight," Derek decided.

"Be smart about this, Derek," Deaton warned. "You can't just go storming in."

"If Isaac got in, then so can we," he decided.

"But he didn't get through a vault door, did he?"

"He didn't have a Marshall witch with him, did he?" Derek shot back.

Stiles frowned, looking at Haven as Derek mentioned bringing Haven with him to deal with these people who clearly have Derek and Peter terrified and Isaac so traumatized by them that he had to repress his own memories.

"We need a plan," Scott interjected, sharing the same concerned look as Stiles as she shook his head. "One better than going in there with just Haven."

"Going in with just Haven sounds good enough," Haven argued, talking about herself in the third person, sliding off the table. "I can get us in that vault."

"This is a pack of alphas, okay, Hav?" Stiles said. "We need a real game plan: how are you going to get into the bank, how are you going to fight them all off, how are you going to get us all in, too, and how are you going to be able to handle two wolves who have been captive for so long?"

She had no answer for him, so he went onto his phone. He found an article about a robbery at the same bank from months ago, and decided he would do some research to figure out how. According to what he had told Derek, it should only take minutes.

Everyone started piling out, Isaac heading out first, his mind seeming like it was somewhere else. Scott decided he was going to go with Stiles to do research.

"Coming?" Stiles asked, stopping at the door to look at Haven.

She was standing next to Derek, who was holding onto the ice bath with no indications that he was going to leave.

Deaton saw the reluctance in Haven's face to leave him there and Derek's demeanor, "You guys can lock up?"

Haven nodded at him, and Stiles kept his eyes on her, almost silently pleading for her to just go with them.

"I'll come by in the morning, Stiles," she told him, "Go home."

He let out an audible sigh, but nodded.

When the door finally closed, she stepped closer to Derek, placing a hand on his shoulder blade, trying to be comforting.

"Hey," she said softly, rubbing her thumb back and forth. "We're going to get them out."

"What if Isaac really did see Erica, dead?" his voice was almost a whisper, still in between believing and denial. When he looked Haven in the eyes, they were clouded with disbelief and grief. "What if we don't get to Boyd in time?"