[14] killer within

Start from the beginning

"After all we've been through? We've fought so hard for all this, what if they decide to take it?" Carol mentioned. 

Maggie agreed, "it's just been us for so long. They're strangers. It feels weird all of a sudden to have these other people around."

"You brought us in." T-Dog reminded. 

"Yeah, but you turned up with a shot boy in your arms. Didn't give us a choice."

"They can't even kill walkers." Glenn brought up. 

"They're convicts, bottom line."

T-Dog scoffed, "Those two might actually have less blood on their hands than we do."

"I get guys like this. Hell, I grew up with them. They're degenerates, but they ain't psychos." Daryl justified, "I could be in here with them just as easy as I'm out here with you guys."

"So you're with me?" T-Dog asked. 

"Hell, no. Let 'em take their chances out on the road just like we did."

I put my hands in my back pockets, "look, I'm not saying this in favor of them, but I've probably done just as bad, or worse things than them. The only difference is I didn't get caught." Maggie and Rick gave me the same look. 

Glenn scoffed, smiling, "yeah, because I'm sure you're such a criminal."

"Before any of this, I beat Randall's brother to death with a beer bottle behind a bar and buried him thirty minutes down the road." I deadpanned, causing the group to go quiet. I figured if my brother already knows, and hasn't sent me packing for what I did, I don't have much to worry about.

"When I was a rookie, I arrested this kid. Nineteen years old, wanted for stabbing his girlfriend. The kid blubbered like a baby during the interrogation, during the trial-suckered the jury." Rick brought up, "He was acquitted due to insufficient evidence and then, two weeks later, shot another girl. We've been through too much. Our deal with them stands."

"So, you really killed a dude?" T-Dog curiously asked. 

I shrugged, "It was justified."

♮♮♮

The group continued to move the cars, but seeing Hershel up and walking on crutches was the distraction they all needed. 

"Beginning to think Mr. G is gonna outlive all of us." JJ told Maggie, who was standing next to her. 

The happy moment soon faded as walkers began spilling into the courtyard. "Walkers! Look out!" Carl alerted. 

Rick, Daryl and Glenn sprinted to get back after being outside the walls. JJ, Maggie, T-Dog and Carol started helping defend Hershel, Beth, Carl and Lori. 

"That gate is open." T-Dog realized.

JJ and Maggie ran over to one of the gate doors, "Lori, over here." She and Carl followed JJ and Maggie inside, where walkers were already invading the halls.

While they were running from the walkers, the prison alarm started blaring. The four were cautious around every corner, scanning for more walkers. Lori fell behind, bracing against the wall, and seething, "something's not right."

"Are you bit?" Her son asked. 

"No, no, no. I think the baby's coming." 

"Impeccable timing." JJ mumbled. 

Carl began to panic, "mom?" But everyone began to panic when a small number of walkers started limping towards them. 

"We gotta go." Maggie and JJ took Lori on each side as Carl went ahead of them, finding a vacant area.