Chapter Forty-Seven: Time's Up

Taylor's Point of View

I didn't have a plan when I walked out of the meeting. It was a dumb thing to do, and literally the only thing Loretta told me not to do, but I needed space. I was going to go to Mads' room but I didn't want to bother her so instead I slipped into Matty's bedroom and plopped myself onto his bed. Lounged against the headboard with my knees pulled in tight I couldn't help but wonder why I was just now hearing about all the options the gentlemen had cooked up months ago.

If it was truly about keeping me safe then why wouldn't we get married? We both already knew that I would say yes, all he had to do was ask. I'd been waiting my whole life and now that it was a real and true option he didn't want it. If he really wanted to marry me like he said he did, why wouldn't he have asked the second he walked out of his meeting two months ago? Clearly, something in him changed between our conversation and this meeting.

I sat there for only a moment longer to allow myself a small pity party. But sitting there I realized it didn't have to be Matty. I had three amazing men that I was in love with and marrying any of them would make me a Forbidden. They were part of the Carbo Family so I didn't see why it wouldn't work the same way.

I took a deep breath and made my way back to Louis' office. As I approached I could hear them all yelling in Italian but I didn't care enough to listen to what was said. I pushed open the door and marched into the room letting my heels click across the floor. All four of their heads turned to greet me but all had different expressions.

Louis looked pleased, like he was genuinely excited to see the events play out in front of him. Chris looked scared. He looked as if he already knew this conversation was going to blow up and he couldn't stop it. Matty looked irritated. I knew he wanted to have control over the events of today because once we left the house he had gone into full boss mode and I wasn't giving him the opportunity. Declan was always the face I was most excited to see in these situations because he was always so calm. It was like Declan had anticipated this blowing up in Matty's face and was just happy to be here when it did.

I gripped the back of the chair I had been sitting in and looked between Louis and Matty before stopping on Louis.

"Dad?" I asked, making Louis look at me with a mix between pride and shock.

He gave me his full attention, "Yes, piccolina (little one)?"

I took a deep breath, slightly nervous to ask my question, "You would say all of these men here are like sons to you, correct?"

He nodded, "All of them are part of the Carbo Family and I would claim each of them as a son given the opportunity. Why do you ask?"

"To become a forbidden all I have to do is marry a member of your family." I turned to look at Matty even though I was still talking to Louis, "Since Matthew doesn't want me, I could marry someone else sitting at this table and accomplish the same thing. Correct?"

Louis rubbed his hands together thinking over my words, "In theory, yes, that could work."

"No!" Matty slammed his hand on the table, "We all agreed, Taylor. Two months ago we all agreed that you and I would get married."

I could feel the heat on my face grow and I gripped the chair harder, "Yes, but you also said that wasn't you asking me. You aren't asking me now either, which means it's left open for one of them to ask me." I looked at Chris first.

He put his hands up surrendering, "I love you Tot, more than anything, but this man has wanted to marry you longer than I have even known you. I can't do that to him, but more importantly, I can't do that to you. You want to marry him, you always have, the only reason you're even considering me right now is that you're mad at him."