Chapter Four: New

"TayTay," Matty whispered, pulling me back from my memories, "Where did you just go?"

"Back..." Tears threatened to escape my eyes and this time I let them, "I miss her so much Matty."

"I know," he pulled me into a hug like he did when we were younger and stroked my hair, "I miss her too you know."

Of course he did. Just like Loretta was a second mom to me, my mom was like a second mom to him and Mads. I wanted to stay like this in his arms forever. Even after the three of us were in college together I still never told Matty how I felt about him. Mads always teased me about liking him, especially when we were younger, but I never confirmed it one way or another. Matty never asked if I liked him more than just as a friend and he never showed any romantic affection towards me, so I doubted he had any suspicions.

"Are you going to tell me what has you in tears this time? Aside from your memories. What caused you to subconsciously call out to me? Whatever it is, I'm here for you, I always have been."

"Just like a protective big brother." I giggled, but it's cut short by his response.

"No!" He pulled away from me with his hands on my upper arms and his face hardened, "I have never called you a little sister, and I never will, there's a reason for that."

Confused by his reaction, all I could do was ask, "What's the reason?"

He shook his head, " Don't change the subject. Now, tell me what happened today?"

"I got fired. I know it's stupid to cry about, but Greg always said..."

"First of all fuck Greg, he's a piece of shit. He hasn't even tried to contact you since you left home. Second of all," He smirked and it made my stomach flutter, "I can get you a new job."

"Wait, really?"

"Yeah. The reason I'm even in the city is because I'm working with an old college friend and he is actually looking for a new assistant."

I rolled my eyes. Matty worked with a lot of CEOs and most CEOs were looking for personal assistants to basically run their life and that wasn't me. I may have been a secretary for the last four years but I had a good head on my shoulders. I would not be reduced to getting coffee and scheduling the cleaner.

"Don't you roll your eyes at me young lady." His laugh told me that his stern tone was an act, "He's looking for an executive personal assistant. Someone to help out with his day to day life but also help out in the office as well. I will put in a good word for you, I'm sure you'll be perfect."

I huffed, "Fine, do I at least get to know his name first?"

"Why, so you can look him up?"

I gave him a look that said obviously that's exactly what I'm going to do.

He chuckled lightly, "His name is Christopher Miller, of Miller Tech."

"Christopher Miller?" My eyebrows shot up, "Like thee Christopher Miller?"

"Yeah, the one you crushed hard on since the moment you met him." Matty rolled his eyes.

"I did not have a crush on him." I huffed.

We stood there for a moment in silence, both of us knowing I was lying. I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding before looking into his eyes again. Something happened and I wasn't sure what it was but there was a flicker of emotion deep in his eyes. He placed his hand to my cheek, rubbed his thumb across my skin and kissed my forehead but pulled back quickly.

"No more tears TayTay." he said, pausing as if there was more he wanted to do or say. However he just pulled his lips together and walked out of my room.